15

Thalia

You're invited to Professor Slughorn's annual Christmas party on December 14th! Enjoy food, drinks, and dancing in celebration of the winter holiday. The party will take place in the West wing of the castle. I hope to see you there!

Warm regards,

Professor Horace Eugene Flaccus Slughorn

Yay.

Because going to Slughorn's party was definitely how I wanted to spend my last night with my friends before they leave to go home for the holiday. 

I wasn't looking forward to either the break nor the party- I doubted any of my friends would be staying at school for the break, and Slughorn's parties were never incredibly interesting.

Nonetheless, I could muster up the energy to go. Last year's Thalia would've gone. 

"Who're you going with?" Anna asked me on our way down to breakfast.

"No one," I shrugged. 

"Wrong answer," she grinned. 

"Ok, who am I going with, then?" I smirked, "You?"

"Ace," she said simply. 

"Didn't know that was your decision to make," I laughed.

"Seriously. I don't think he's asked anyone which tells me he wants to go with you," she poked my shoulder as we continued down the hall.

"Or he doesn't want to go with anyone," I pointed out.

"Don't kid yourself," she smirked, "I think you two should go together, and I'm positive he thinks so too."

I sighed, knowing there was no way Anna was going to let me go to that party without Ace. I didn't blame her either, it's not as though she knew what he had said to me a month earlier. 

"I'll go with him," I shrugged, "As friends."

"Sure, friends," she winked, and I rolled my eyes. We walked into the Great Hall and sat down among our friends. I slid into the seat next to Ace.

"Ace," I said and he looked up. "Want to go to Slughorn's party together?"

"Really?" he raised his eyebrows.

"Sure," I shrugged, picking up a bowl of fruit from the center of the table. 

"Yeah sure," he nodded. I looked across the table to see Anna and Liam smirking at me, and I rolled my eyes again. 

x x x 

A week or so later, Anna and Hazel sat in the bathroom with me while I got ready for the party. We talked about the holiday, and to my delight, I learned that Hazel was staying at Hogwarts too. Knowing I wasn't going to be alone put me in a significantly better mood. 

I put on a short cocktail dress and let Anna tend to my hair and makeup before deeming me acceptable. We chatted the whole time about school and Liam. Hazel was quieter than usual, but I didn't push her. 

"You look amazing," Anna finally whistled, stepping back to admire her handiwork. "I impress myself sometimes."

"Thanks," I smirked at her expression. The three of us walked out of the bathroom, through, the dormitory, and down into the common room. Ace, Liam, and Augie were sitting on the couch, Ace wearing a suit. We walked over to them.

"Tals," Liam gawked as we approached. "You look fucking hot."

"Try not to drool too much," Anna said.