9

Regulus

Somehow, school seemed to drag on even more than I had expected it would. I felt robotic going through my classes, taking notes, and acting like I actually learned something. 

Maybe it was because the work was just harder this year. Maybe it was because I subconsciously knew nothing I learned would even matter the minute I stepped foot out of Hogwarts. I assumed the latter.  

I felt sad this year. Not because my grades were bad (because they weren't) or because it was my last year at Hogwarts. No, it was because I used to actually like school. I used to like learning and feeling like I had a purpose- feeling like it was possible to live up to a certain potential. I liked gaining knowledge. 

But this year- this mark- it took all of that away from me. I no longer took joy in learning new spells, potions, and charms. It was as if the mark had sucked out all the happiness from my life. Even quidditch wasn't the same anymore.

I found myself zoning out a lot. As in a lot. It wasn't good, but it's not as though it mattered anyway. 

I zoned out today. So much so, that I didn't notice the note sticking out of my Transfiguration textbook until the very end of class as we were packing up to leave. As McGonagall dismissed us, I had caught a glimpse of the small piece of parchment. I surveyed the classroom, seeing no one glancing in my direction as they packed up to leave. I also collected my belongings like usual, but tucked the note in my pocket to read in secrecy. 

After Sirius and his friends left the room, I exited as well and walked to the bathroom. There, I opened up the small piece of parchment to find scribbled handwriting. 

Just wanted to check on you. I'm still here if you ever need to talk.

     -Remus

I suppose I revise my former statement. There was one tolerable Gryffindor- Remus Lupin. We were sort of friends for a long time before I cut ties with Sirius. Regardless, I had no interest in talking to him now. 

I had a theory about him and my brother. There was no way I could trust Remus as a friend without knowing if he was going to keep my secrets. He was observant like I was. Even if we were to talk as acquaintances rather than friends, it wasn't unlikely he would pick up on my secret and possibly tell Sirius. I couldn't risk that. 

I tossed the note in the garbage and left the bathroom. 

I suppose it would be nice to have someone to talk to, but it wasn't realistic. Plus, I could manage fine on my own. I was good at it by now. 

Thalia

Over the past couple of months, I had discovered something: I had good days, and I had bad days. 

Today was a bad day. 

Nothing incredibly significant caused my mood, but it tended to happen after certain conversations(like the one I had with Ace when someone mentioned how "normal" I appeared. 

On the bad days, my classes would drag by painfully slowly. It would take every ounce of energy I had to participate in my friend's conversations, and I could rarely motivate myself to do any work. 

I had the excuse of extensions as all of my teachers had offered. I hadn't used a single one of them. Nor was I planning on it. 

Somehow, however, even despite how well my day went, I found solace in my late-night common room reading adventures. Even when someone else was there.

Whether my day was good or bad, my mood always turned into a sort of neutral, peaceful state at night. I didn't need to reflect on the day or speak to anyone if I didn't want to. Rather, I could just enjoy the peaceful balance of the common room. 

The minute I walked down the stairs tonight, for example, my bad mood washed away. I was calm. Relaxed. I walked over to the chair I'd been sitting in the past couple of nights. Regulus looked up again to acknowledge my presence before looking back down. He was nearly finished with his book by the looks of it. 

I sat down and opened my book. We ignored each other. We were both fine with that. 

Based off his behavior during the day, I knew he appreciated the common room reading as much as I did. It was an escape for both of us. Why he needed it? Perhaps for his brother. Perhaps it was more. I didn't know.

The common room ambience swallowed me whole, enveloping me in a green, underwater world. Only the occasional sound of Regulus turning his page kept me somewhat grounded to my current reality. 

We read and read and read. Silent. Peaceful.

Until at one point, Regulus let out a quiet half-snort half-laugh. He'd obviously attempted to stifle the noise to avoid breaking the silence, but the foreign sound still made me glance up from my book. The raven-haired boy was slightly shaking his head in amusement at something he read. 

I stared at him for a moment before opening my mouth. 

"Is that any good?" I asked out of the blue. I didn't even stop to think before asking. Before breaking our peaceful silence. 

To my surprise, however, he replied without any indication of irritation for my disrupting of the atmosphere. 

"It's not bad," he said, his gaze still never leaving the page, "Better than your muggle books."

"Excuse me, but I happen to like the muggle books," I shot back a bit too cooly. Perhaps my bad mood hadn't quite worn off after all... 

"Well I'm sorry then," he smirked very unapologetically as he read, taking no offense to my slight tone. 

"For insulting my taste in books or for liking them?" I asked, making sure to soften my tone this time.

"Both," he shrugged. 

"Thanks for that," I replied sarcastically. 

"Anytime," he smirked, his gaze still never leaving the page of his book. 

I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to my book. 

That was all. The room became silent once again.