31

A/N: So I had a chapter in between this one and the previous, but it was just them ignoring each other etc, so I decided to cut it out and get right into it. I hope y'all enjoy a long chapter :)

Thalia

A week has passed since the incident, but I gave up being angry at Regulus. It was impossible to keep up the constant glaring especially when he acted unbothered. He wasn't worth my energy. 

At least I tried to convince myself that he wasn't.

I hated how much I wanted to talk to him again. I hated how much I wanted to stop ignoring him and just give in. I hated how much I wanted to kiss him again.

But when I awoke this morning and saw the date on Hazel's calendar, I forgot all about Regulus. And my friends. And school. And my life.

February 20th.

Today was Roman's 20th birthday. 

Sorry, would have been Roman's 20th birthday. 

Wow.

I had been so distracted, I guess I had just...forgot. It was an unsettling feeling. I wasn't exactly sure what to feel.

I stared out the window into the depths of the lake, watching how the sunlight was starting to peak through. I watched the water until my friends awoke. I doubted any of them knew the significance of the day. 

I went through my morning routine robotically. I couldn't stop recalling my previous memories from Roman's past birthdays. When we were younger they had always been quite fun. He started to outgrow them as he got older. We both did.

Hazel, Anna, and I met the boys in the common room before setting down to breakfast. I just smiled and nodded, not adding much to the conversation.

"Huge party tonight at Ravenclaw, and I got us all invites," Joe whispered as we walked to breakfast.

"Really?" Hazel asked with an impressive look.

"Really," he nodded. 

"Good, I need to let loose," Anna breathed. She glanced over at Liam who was talking with Augie. 

"I'm in too," Hazel said. 

We entered the hall and sat down at the Slytherin table. I didn't have much of an appetite. I merely watched my friends eat and scanned the hall. Regulus was eating quietly with Snape.   We made eye contact for a brief moment, but I turned away. 

Regulus

Thalia looked off. 

I noticed something at first when she didn't eat anything at breakfast. What concerned me more, however, was that she wasn't glaring at me. That was off. Because if she wasn't glaring at me it meant she was occupied with something else- something worse. 

We made eye contact and she turned her head away. But she didn't blush like she normally did. It was a mere glance with a blank expression. She looked distant. 

She didn't even try to force a smile around her friends. She just looked too distracted. Too preoccupied. 

I wracked my brain for some idea as to what could have caused her mood. It had to do with either her parents, her brother, or me. I opted against the third option because she seemed too distracted to be mad at me. I also cancelled out the first, knowing that she didn't keep in contact with her parents. 

Only mention of her brother caused that look on her face. It wasn't the anniversary of his death- I knew that was over the summer. Perhaps it was another anniversary or meaningful day. Maybe his birthday. That had to be it.