61

3 years later

Thalia

The Daily Prophet 

The Wizard World's Beguiling Broadsheet of Choice

November 1st, 1981 

Infant Harry Potter Defeats Voldemort, Only Person to Survive Killing Curse!

My mouth hung half-open as I read today's headline. And when I read the full article, my jaw slackened even further. My brain was whirring, physically unable to process so much information at once. I wasn't sure what to focus on first: 

1. The fact that the war was over

2. That Voldemort was dead

3. That James and Lily Potter's newborn son was the reason for points 1 and 2

4. That James and Lily Potter were dead

"Regulus," I called weakly to the kitchen of our apartment where Regulus was making tea.

"Hmm?" He asked calmly, pouring honey into his cup. I watched him stir a bit of honey into his drink, the sound of the spoon hitting his cup making a clanging noise. 

"It's over," I spoke in disbelief.

"What's over?"

"The war."

The clanging sound of the spoon against the cup ceased. Regulus turned and looked at me in complete astonishment. 

"There's more," I nearly whispered, holding out the paper. Regulus made his way over to the table where I sat and gently took the paper from my hands. I watched his eyes widen as he read just as mine had.

"I don't believe it," he said softly, slumping down into the chair next to me.

"Which part?" I asked dryly.

"All of it," he looked up at me, "I'm glad it's over, believe me, but I can't believe they're gone. And James... I mean I hated that sucker, but I never wanted him dead," he shook his head, sadness overcoming his features.

"They were so young," I spoke. I couldn't believe that the couple I had loved analyzing only three years ago was actually gone. But before I could process it, another thought struck me-

"Sirius," Regulus completed my thought with panic-laced words. "Fuck."

He ran a hand through his already-disheveled hair, and we both looked at each other. Sirius had just lost two of his best friends in one night.

"Remus too," I added solemnly. "We should write to them." 

"You know I can't do that," Regulus hung his head sadly.

"But I can."

Regulus met my gaze and nodded: "Thank you."

"You don't need to thank me, Sirius was my friend too."

Regulus subtly grimaced at my word "was." He had been especially guilt-ridden lately over the fact that we had been living in another country for the past three years and rarely saw our friends. They were ok. I knew they were- I wrote to them frequently. I even saw them a few times (sans Regulus, of course.) Liam and Anna were engaged to be married "after the war ended" which I guess would be now. I would go see them in person for that. Ace's quidditch plans were on hold during the war which he and Hazel were fighting in. Hopefully now he could pursue his dream. I hadn't spoken to Augie or Joe in awhile, but I knew they were ok.