38

Thalia

The first couple weeks of March passed quickly. School was getting more difficult as the year progressed, so my nights with Regulus often turned into study halls for us. Even so, I enjoyed every second of time we spent together even when we were writing essays or studying for an exam. 

Both of us started to open up more as our relationship grew to be more serious. I found myself revealing things I had never told anymore, and him the same. Regulus told me about his relationship with Sirius and his parents, his fears, his insecurities. I couldn't fight the feeling that there was more he had yet to share, but I didn't want to rush him.

He was just so easy to talk to, so easy to trust. I never would have imagined that I would one day spill all of my deepest darkest secrets to the one boy who always seemed so unbothered, yet here I was. 

But as my adoration for the Black boy grew, so did the difficulty of keeping our relationship a secret. I found myself staring at him for the majority of classes, resisting the urge to talk to him during the day, suppressing a laugh here and there that would make people suspicious. 

I also grew annoyed at my fatigue. I wished I could have more time with him each day and fought to stay awake every night. Regulus would always make me go to sleep when he saw how tired I was, but I didn't want to waste the only time we had together. 

It was one of those mornings where my fatigue caught up with me in my charms class. Professor Flitwick was trying to teach our class- Slytherins and Hufflepuffs-  an undetectable extension charm, and I tuned him out. I was far too tired to make an effort at the moment. I sat in the middle row in between my friends and was fighting to keep my eyes open when a voice said my name from behind us. 

"Hey Lark," a hushed voice called. I turned around and was faced with Archer Bones, the Hufflepuff quidditch captain.

"Hi," I said hesitantly. I felt Anna snickering next to me. Archer leaned forward as to avoid talking too loudly, though naturally my friends listened in. 

"You got a date for the Spring formal?" Archer asked, drumming his fingers on his desk. 

Ah, right. 

"Do I need one?" I smirked.

"I dunno," the brunette shrugged, "Would you like one?" 

I saw Regulus watching the interaction out of the corner of my eye.

I admired Archer's boldness. But I was also going to have to reject this poor guy in the nicest way possible. 

"Not really," I shrugged. "I appreciate the offer though," I gave him an apologetic smile. He flashed me a smile, and I turned back around. I didn't feel too bad- Archer was popular enough that I doubted the next person he asked would say no. 

"Why didn't you say yes?" Anna whispered.

"I don't want a date. Sort of want like a 'solo-moment', you know?" I lied. 

"Alright alright," Anna smirked, "I'm sure everyone's going to be drooling over you anyway." 

I laughed at this and waited a few seconds before daring a look over my shoulder at Regulus. He was staring at Archer with narrowed eyes and a locked jaw. He clenched and relaxed his fists a few times on top of the desk, flexing his fingers as if to remind himself that he couldn't exactly do anything about Archer asking me out. 

 He was jealous. He was jealous. 

Regulus Black was jealous. Who would've thought? I supressed a laugh when Regulus caught my eye, and he rolled his eyes.