54

Regulus

I read the paragraph through once more as realization washed over me.

It was inevitable.

I wasn't just going to die, I had to die.

The gears in my brain were whirring as I put the pieces together: if Voldemort saw visions of the destruction of the horcrux, then he would see me killing it. I wouldn't last a day. Hell, I wouldn't last an hour. He would send every death eater after me, I would get captured, and then... well you know the rest. 

There were two ways this could go. One, I get the horcrux, find a way to destroy it, and then I am tortured for eternity and everyone I love suffers the same fate. Two, I get the horcrux, find a way to destroy it, and kill myself before Voldemort can find me. Though both options were horrid, the second one would keep everyone else safe, and I would get to dictate how I died. The first option would mean a long a painful death while I suffered in unimaginable ways. 

I kept scanning the paragraph over and over again, hoping I had missed something. Hoping there was more information. But no, the next paragraph went on to talk about ghosts and their souls. 

My palms were clammy as I flipped to page 225 where there was supposedly information on destroying horcruxes. But when I got to the pages, they had been ripped out along with all other nine books I had read. I wasn't sure whether or not I should feel relieved. 

I closed the book and extinguished my light, forcing a few deep breaths. I sat in the dark, focused on my breathing. 

This is a dream. This is a dream.

I fell asleep willing those four words to be true.

Thalia

Anxiety levels the next morning were somehow worse than the previous day. Everyone- my boyfriend especially- looked like they were going to puke from nervousness. Regulus was so nervous he refused to look at anything or anyone except his plate of food. I frowned slightly at this- as he was never one to be nervous before tests- but decided not to push it. 

When his mood didn't cease even after the exam had finished, however, I knew something was wrong. Yet when I asked him, he assured me everything was fine and that he was merely anxious about the end of school coming so soon. 

x x x

N.E.W.T week passed by slowly and dreadfully. But what was even worse was the fact that we now had only a week left of school. Luckily classes ended for seventh years, so I was able to maximize my time with my friends. 

The seven of us were in the girl's dormitory, laying around. I was lying next to Hazel and Anna, the three of us staring at the ceiling.

"Are you gonna fight?" Anna asked quietly.

The room was silent for a moment.

"We have to, don't we?" It was Ace who spoke first.

"You don't have to," Anna shrugged.

"I will," he replied simply, "I have quidditch to worry about too, but if the war continues I won't be playing anyway, so I might as well fight."

"I think I will too," Anna nodded, "Not that I want to."

Four more gloomy echoes of "same" rang through the room.

"Tals?" Anna turned her head towards me.

"I'll help in my own way," I shrugged. It was true.

x x x

The last night at Hogwarts I spent with Regulus. The two of us snuck outside and watched the stars, discussing plans to meet during the summer.

"We could hang out at my house," I suggested to Regulus, intertwining my hand with his, "It's not like I live with anyone anymore," I smirked slightly, expecting a dry laugh out of him. It didn't come.

"Sure," he nodded absentmindedly instead. I could tell his attention was far away.

"What's going on?" I frowned. 

"Nothing," he shrugged. Lie. 

I raised my brows but didn't press on.

x x x

Faces were grim when the train pulled up to King's Cross. There were half the number of parents waiting for their kids, and the pouring rain pattering on the large windows didn't help the mood either.

I stepped off the train with my friends, though I was left quickly when they greeted their parents. I stepped off to the side, observing the scene. Even the happy expressions from parents looked forced. As I was watching a second-year boy nearly jump into his parent's arms, someone else peaked my interest.

A women with sharp, pointed features stood lingering near the shadows of the platform just as I was. She was tall with dark hair that was tied in a top-knot, only a few strands of grey showing. I knew who she was instantly. 

Walburga Black. 

Just the way most parents naturally gravitated away from her sans a few Slytherin families told me her identity. Her husband was nowhere in sight, and based off what Regulus had told me about him, that wasn't particularly out of habit.

Sure enough, I watched from afar as Regulus embraced the woman. They exchanged a few words, and I noticed Walburga's features soften. Regulus and I locked eyes for a brief moment before he and his mother apparated. 

My gaze drifted to Sirius who was watching where his mother and brother had just stood. We too locked eyes, though to my surprise, Regulus's brother set towards me.

"Lark," Sirius sighed dramatically, resting an elbow on my shoulder, "This is where we part."

"I'm crying on the inside, I swear," I held up my hands. 

"I sure will miss your wit," he winked, "Shame we never dated, isn't it?"

"Sure is," I smirked. 

"Well," he sighed again, "Have a good life, Lark."

"You too, Black," I smiled. Sirius turned around and began back towards his friends. "Black," I spoke suddenly. Sirius whipped around and raised his brow. "Stay safe."

"You too," he nodded, his smile wavering slightly. He opened his mouth to say something else but decided against it, giving me a wave before returning to his friends. 

I said goodbye to my friends for the last time before disapparating myself. I landed in my small driveway and lugged my bags towards the steps. 

I pushed open the door and instinctively said "I'm home" to an empty house.