50

A/N: Hey y'all, there was a huge spike in readers yesterday, and I'm wondering why (not bc I'm complaining ofc, I'm just curious.) If anyone has any ideas lmk :)

Thalia

Regulus and I spent the next three nights looking through books about Salazar Slytherin's history to get some clue as to why the locket was so heavily guarded. After three late nights, however, we came up empty handed. I then proposed the idea of checking the restricted section in the library.

So tonight, a little after midnight, Regulus and I snuck out of the common room and into the library once more, this time heading to the gated section. 

"Alohamora," Regulus whispered. The gate unlocked and creaked open, the two of us stepping quickly inside. Regulus then locked us in to be safe- that way if anyone came in, they wouldn't see the door unlocked.

"I'll start looking at magical objects if you want to see look for more about Slytherin's past," I offered, and he agreed.

We set up camp at a table and used the light from our wands to pick out books. Regulus got to work on the darker side of Salazar's life, while I created a pile of books all having to do with magical objects. 

We worked tirelessly, reading and absorbing as much information as possible and discussing quietly every once and awhile.

"Did you know that Slytherin owned a basilisk?" Regulus asked at one point.

"Really?" I smirked, "What? He just kept it as a pet?"

"C'mon, what's that supposed to mean? A basilisk would make a great pet," he exclaimed sarcastically, and I quietly laughed.

Regulus shook his head slightly at the book and kept reading.

In order to cover more ground, I decided to scan through the chapters of each book to see if anything sparked my interest.

In the book I was currently scanning, there were chapters on concealers, detectors, prank items, games, mirrors, wands, stones, transportation, broomsticks, and...horcruxes. 

"Regulus," I frowned, "What's a horcrux?"

"A what?" He asked. 

I motioned for him to come over, and pointed out the word that was illuminated. The two of us stared at the unfamiliar word, silently racking our brains for any hint. 

And then all of a sudden, something clicked for Regulus. The color drained instantly from his face. 

"Bella," he spoke quietly.

"What? Who's-" before I could say anything, the sound of the library door creaking open startled us both. I instantly muttered Nox, extinguishing our light. Both Regulus and I remained silent statues, listening for any other sounds. In the dark I could only see the shine from his eyes which remained locked on mine. 

The distant sound of paws patting on stone floor made both our eyes widen slightly. 

Filch.

I slowly closed the book, attempting to remain as silent as possible. I jumped when I felt something touch my hand. I relaxed once I realized it was merely Regulus's hand. He gave a slight tug on my hand, pulling us away from the table. We stood up silently and slowly, leaving the table (though I held the book I had been reading close to me.)

Regulus pulled us along deeper into the restricted section. The scent of old books, dust, and cobwebs was not too inviting, though I would much rather endure the odor than whatever punishment Filch would have awaiting for us if we were caught.