59

A/N: Last chap before my second vacation, I'll do my best to post ASAP

Thalia

Regulus and I fell into a constant routine over the next two weeks. We would spend a normal morning together, then we would spend most of the day trying different ways to destroy the horcrux, then we would have a normal night together. 

Regulus was still presumed missing, so we were now living with one another. We had received the Daily Prophet a few days ago, and his name was under the list of missing persons who's bodies had yet to turn up. Perhaps his parents thought him dead. With the ever-growing numbers on the front page of the Prophet, it wouldn't be unlikely. Regulus didn't appear too concerned about it.

Kreacher visited on the daily. It took me a whole week of convincing for him to stop calling me "Master." He came bearing news of the Black household, clean clothes, and money from Regulus's safe at home. He was slowly accumulating a steady flow from his safe, though at a rate that would go unnoticed. 

The living situation was good- we ate well, were able to have some free time, and we never had any unwanted intruders given the location of my house. The harder part was seeing the number of casualties grow every day and having no power over it. We had tried everything to destroy the locket, and yet still its small heart continued to beat.

It was a warm July evening as Regulus and I were lying in bed. He had a book propped up between us which I was only half-reading.

"There's nothing keeping us here, you know," Regulus suggested quietly, "We have to keep trying to destroy the locket, but we can do that anywhere."

"Where would you want to go?" I asked, turning up to look at him.

"I haven't thought that far ahead," he smirked.

"What about France?" I teased, ruffling his hair.

Regulus shot me a look of disgust that made me cackle.

"Ok fine, maybe not France," I laughed. "The U.S.?"

"That's even worse than France," Regulus laughed.

"Well it's not my fault you hate every country in the world," I smirked. Regulus stared at me with an amused smile. "What?" I teased.

"Nothing," he replied with a smile. I stared at him for awhile before laying my head down onto his chest. I sighed, letting contentment take over while I listened to his breathing and felt his heart beat steadily. The occasional flip of a page was the only thing preventing me from falling asleep. 

Regulus

Around 10 PM, I slowly rolled over to put my book on the bedside table, careful not to wake Thalia. I turned the light off and settled back into a comfortable position before closing my eyes. Sleep found me quickly. 

I awoke again around 2 AM. But Thalia wasn't in bed. 

I felt a jolt of panic surge through me, causing me to instantly sit up. I felt her imprint in the mattress that was still warm. I immediately jumped out of the bed and called her name frantically. I rushed out of the bedroom and nearly ran into Thalia coming out of the bathroom.

"Regulus?" I instantly relaxed when I saw her come out of the bathroom with a concerned look on her face, "What's wrong?"

"You- you weren't there, and I thought something... I dunno, I'm sorry," I shook my head.

"No it's ok," she nodded, "I'm ok."

"Ok," I swallowed, shaking my head to clear it. 

"Let's go back to bed," she said, grasping my hand. Adrenaline was still pumping through my veins, though the feeling of her skin on mine calmed my heart significantly. When we returned to our bed, Thalia climbed into my arms, wrapping her arms around my torso. I felt my body relax at the movement as relief washed over once again.