Prologue

Thank you so so much again for choosing to read City of the Fallen

Thank you so so much again for choosing to read City of the Fallen. I'm writing this after the last chapter has been released, so this book is fully written and I would appreciate if everyone gives it a chance! <3
—————————————————————

"Julia!" An urgent voice fills the room. My tired eyes pop open, and I roll over on my bed, still half asleep. I love waking up to the fresh smell of the pine trees from my backyard and pancakes that my mother loves making on the weekends. But I don't like being woken up. Whoever decided to wake me up from a good night's sleep doesn't deserve a response.

"You slept in again, silly." I glance over at Brooke, who's wearing a pair of shorts and a T-shirt as if she were ready to go somewhere. She clutches the purse in her hands and fumbles with her keychain as she waits patiently for me to fully wake up.

"What?" I question groggily through my tangled hair. She only laughs in response and pulls the covers off of my body, instantly making me chilly.

Then, I remember.

I promised Brooke that I would help her at the church down the street, we have to do some community service as a favor. Basically we would pack a bunch of donated canned goods in boxes and then deliver them to people in need. It's for a good cause, especially since there's a lot of homeless people in our city.

This is also necessary for my resume and college applications, which are waiting to be filled out.

I don't want to go though, I have a weird feeling in my stomach. It's unexplainable, I just feel like I shouldn't go, probably because I'm not motivated enough. I never want to do anything when I'm tired.

"Oh right." I murmur, trying to wake myself up. "I'll get ready, just wait downstairs."

Brooke does as I say and leaves my room.

I roll out of bed, grabbing the first thing I see in my dresser and brush my tangled hair, then head downstairs for breakfast. My mother is sitting at the kitchen table along with my brother. When she sees me, her eyes darken. "Did you sleep in again, Julia?"

Ignoring the question, I grab an apple from the fruit assortment on my counter. I wash it and stuff it inside of my mouth, making sure I'm ready to go as soon as possible. I also want to avoid talking to my mother about being irresponsible for the hundredth time.

"Juliet Miller, how many times do I have to tell you how important it is to wake up on time?" She scolds. By now, I'm used to it; my irresponsible charisma has been known by many for a while now. It's one of my weaknesses that she can't seem to accept.

"It's just Brooke, Mom, it's not like I'm going to a job interview." I counter. She raises her thin eyebrows at me, which I know means that she wants me to apologize.

"I'm sorry. I'll do better." I retort. Usually, I'm too stubborn to apologize, but I'm short on time at the moment.

"Hey, kiddo." My dad walks into the room wearing his suit and holding a black leather briefcase. "I'm heading to work, I'll see you after?"