Chapter Fifty-Six

I don't know why but I can't breathe properly

I don't know why but I can't breathe properly. "War in the Afterworld? What does that even mean?"

Colton shakes his head. He's out of breath. "Somebody has to fill up those tunnels. We can't let demons come up here and take us. The reason nobody knew about it is because there's too many of us. Taking a hundred out of a billion isn't noticeable."

Nick's eyes narrow. "Am I in trouble?"

"No, you're not. Everything is going to be fine." I assure him.

"Don't lie to him." Colton sends me an annoyed stare.

I glare at him. "How could they possibly know that he snuck in here? Like you said, there's tons of people here, if demons can't be detected then Nick shouldn't be either."

"It's the board. They know everything, I just know Carter is going to tell them. This can't be good for me. They're going to send voyagers out like soldiers and lock down every single building there is until they find the demons." Colton rambles.

"All because of Nick?" I inquire.

"No, because of all of the prisoners we saw down in the Underworld. The board is going to find a way to rescue them." He stares at the ground as he speaks. I don't know why he's so worried about this.

"Who's the board? And why are you so concerned about this? There's nothing you can do."

He looks up at me, his eyes drenched in fear. Colton clenches his jawline and balls his hands into a fist. "The board is a bunch of people who basically run the Afterworld. Part of Carter's job is to give a permit to people who wish to go to the middle world or underworld with a voyager. The other part is reporting problems to the board. If he hears about this, he will have no choice but to tell the board everything, how Nick got here and how many people were in the Underworld trapped in a cell."

"That still doesn't explain why you're in distress." I state.

Nick looks like he's about to throw up.

"Who do you think is going to have to go rescue all those people?"

T H I R D P E R S O N

The others remain silent, too nervous to contribute a word. Carter stands in the corner, his hands clasped together.

"How many did you say there were?" Pierce prompts, his voice shaken from distress. All seven of them are uncertain things in the Afterworld would ever be the same. They don't want to be the ones to break the bad news. Pierce is the only one among them who haven't been told what happened.

"At least a hundred, sir, that they saw. It could be a couple thousand total." Abraham says quietly, unhappy with his own response. He looks over at Carter, who nods in agreement.

"Is this source reliable?" Pierce asks the table, and every single member nods.

"I personally know the voyager and his company, sir." Carter adds, his voice a little distorted from all of the nerves in his body. His palms are sweaty and he wishes he wasn't here at that moment.