Chapter Thirty

I wake up with more pain in my back than before

I wake up with more pain in my back than before. My jaw hurts as well, but the rest of my body is starting to get better. The sun begins to shed light on us, which warms me up.

There's a pile of burnt sticks next to me and Colton is nowhere to be seen. I scan my surroundings, which is basically just a bunch of dry grass and then spot him a few hundred feet away. He's bent over looking at something near a few bushes.

"Whatcha doin?" I approach him. He's next to a small puddle of water, scooping it into a silver bottle. The water is murky and green, and full of dirt. It's practically mud. He wipes a drop of sweat away before looking up at me.

"Here. Drink up. You're probably dehydrated." He hands me the water bottle.

"You're giving me pond water? There's probably tons of bacteria in here." I look inside the bottle and cringe at the horrid smell. I'd rather stay thirsty.

"It's a water purifier. It's safe to drink." He rolls his eyes and walks off. For somebody who expects me to trust him, he's not very deserving of it. He shouldn't be mad after I refuse to drink contaminated water. How was I supposed to know that it's a water purifier?

"Why are you so mad at me all the time? What did I do?" I question. I'm sick of him treating me like this when we have only been here for a day. I've only known him for a few more hours than that, and this trip isn't going to go well if he continues to act like this. I wish Brooke was here.

"I'm not mad at you, per say, I'm mad at your stupidity. You really can't just trust me, can you?" He replies.

I shake my head. "No. You just seem like the kind of person to do something mean for no reason. I trust most people, just not you." I tell him while he pulls out his compass, then turns his body to walk the other direction.

"I am that kind of person. So don't piss me off."

I sigh. His sad attempt to scare me only makes me want to piss him off, just to see what happens. What is he going to do, leave me down here? He'd most definitely get kicked out for that so either way he'd lose. There's no point in trying to be nice to this guy, something must have happened to him to make him like this. Maybe his mother didn't love him.

His backpack is already full, but my sweatshirt and blanket are still lying on the ground. I help him stuff the blanket into the bag and I keep the sweatshirt because it's still a bit chilly outside.

It's the first article of clothing that I've seen from the Afterworld that isn't white, not even close. It's a maroon color with a silhouette of a mountain on the front of it.

"Where are we going?" I ask him while we walk through the dirt. I'm able to see a few towns below the hill we're walking down, and I would have thought that we would head towards that, but we actually pace up the mountain away from civilization.

It's getting really hard to try and gain his trust.

Colton looks at his compass, then up at the land in front of him. "I need to see where the nearest port is where we can get to Turkey."