Chapter Twenty-Six

Brooke and I didn't sit in our usual spot today

Brooke and I didn't sit in our usual spot today. I don't want to face Tanner or Jack, it would just be easier for someone else to tell them. Rather than sitting in the middle of the auditorium, we sat in the far back corner where they probably wouldn't find us.

"We're going to have to tell them sometime." I whisper to Brooke.

She leans her head against her hand. "You know they're not going to want us to go. I say we wait as long as possible before we tell them."

"No, I say we tell them now because we're going regardless of their opinion on this." I counter. The sound of the instructor's words become quieter as my thoughts become more distracting. I constantly feel overwhelmed with the stress of the unknown. There is no way to anticipate what is to come in the next few weeks, especially with that jerk Colton.

"Fine. But if we're going to do it your way, you're going to be the one that tells them." Brooke replies and turns away from me. The anxiety is getting to both of us; we're short tempered, which is often what happens when people get nervous. I have never been so scared about something in my past life or here. My entire body is sweating and my forehead is hot. Our emotions are lessened here so I can't imagine how I'd feel on Earth. It would still be better than what Nick is probably experiencing.

"Let's tell them at lunch, then." I suggest. Brooke raises her eyebrow at me, her eyes sparkling even in the dim lighting in here.

"Fine, but then they're not going to want to hang with us for the rest of the day-- or even for the rest of eternity." Brooke crosses her arms.

"Would you relax?" I place my hand on her shoulder. "They're not going to hate us for doing the right thing. When we tell them the situation, they will understand. It would be worse if we were to do nothing and let him rot in the Underworld."

Brooke sighs. "What if they want to come?"

"Then they come."

She looks frustrated with my careless response, as if she wants me to think something bad were to happen from us telling Tanner and Jack. Just as she is about to speak again, the soft dinging sound signals us to go on a break. "Remember, you're doing the talking."

***

I shake off Brooke's panicked glare and turn towards the two boys walking at us.

"Hey, where were you guys?" Tanner quizzes as he sits down across from us.

"Sorry, we didn't see you." I reply. Unlike Brooke, I'm really good at telling a lie.

Tanner shakes his head. "It's fine. You didn't grab anything to eat?" Both him and Jack have a plateful of food, but I haven't had the desire to eat anything since I found out about Nick.

"No, we didn't really feel like walking to the cafeteria." I answer. Brooke keeps her head down and doesn't make eye contact with anyone, which is just giving our strangeness away. She nudges me softly and looks at me through her dark hair, widening her eyes as if to say: tell them.