Chapter Thirty-Four

I don't want to wake up

I don't want to wake up. I don't want to wake up. I don't want to wake up.

The covers are snatched from my body and I instantly become cold. I curl up into a ball and lower my face to my chest.

"Wake up Juliet, we're almost there." Colton announces and I abide, slowly sitting up.

"How much longer?" I ask, putting on the sweatshirt he lended me to warm me up.

"About an hour. Maybe less." He begins stuffing items into his bag and zips it shut, then sits back down onto the bench. "Breakfast?" He has a few bananas in his hands and I grab two. I'm starving.

"So how long will it take to get to Pluto's gate once we get to our stop?" I ask as I take a bite.

"It's about a four hour walk once we get off the train, but I know of a pitstop that we can go to." He responds. "Once we get close, it's still going to be a couple of days until we actually reach the gate."

"Does that give us enough time to get Nick and come back?"

"Yes it does, relax. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't be on this train right now, we'd be back in the Afterworld." He scoffs.

"I was just asking. Are we really going to walk for four hours straight?" I sigh, thinking about the pain. That's twice the time we walked yesterday and my legs are killing me. I bet it would really only be a three hour walk because Colton walks so fucking fast.

"Yes. Is there a problem?" He raises his eyebrow.

"Yes, I don't want to walk that long after just remembering what it's like to feel pain for the first time in a month." I thought I was being rational here but he clearly didn't.

"Fine. Let's waste time taking useless breaks that could be spent looking for your brother in the Underworld. That makes total sense." He retorts.

I guess he's right. I hate when he's right.

I really don't feel like keeping that conversation going, so I change the subject. "What's the Underworld like?"

He laughs in amusement and tilts his body towards me, inching his face closer to mine. "If I tell you, you won't want to go."

"What? What's that supposed to mean?" He stands up without giving me an answer, pulling the straps of the backpack over his shoulders. "So you're not going to give me a warning or anything?"

"Alright there is one thing you should know." He admits. Before he is able to speak a pounding noise comes from the door. I freeze in place and my heart sinks. Someone yells something in Turkish and Colton curses under his breath.

Something is fidgeting with the door handle, it sounds like a key being inserted. Colton grabs his cup of water that is still full from last night and turns to me. "Be ready to run."