Chapter Fifty-Three

We approach a few rocks in the middle of nowhere

We approach a few rocks in the middle of nowhere. They're more like boulders, most of them are taller than me.

My leg is just about reaching its breaking point and I think I'm going to die from being so hungry. My organs physically hurt, my leg doesn't function correctly, and I'm drenched in sweat. Thirst tugs at my throat and my mouth is very dry.

"So much for finishing out strong." Colton mutters as he leans his back against a rock. I sit next to him, letting my legs finally relax. It hasn't been that long since I last sat down, but I'm weak and get tired easily.

"Are we here?" I question. My head is tilted up towards the sky absorbing every last minute of the stars before I return to the Afterworld.

"Indeed we are, blondie." He replies.

"What am I going to do now?" I look up at the blue sky, wishing that the sun would stop shining so bright on my skin. "What am I going to tell my friends?"

He sighs, brushing some dirt off of his arm. "You don't have to say anything at first. Your friends probably knew that going on this trip brings a risk of you not coming back. They also must know that there's a possibility that Nick won't be coming back with you. They'll understand."

I smile at him but he doesn't make eye contact with me. "Thanks, Colton. It's weird cause I almost don't want to go back. I don't want to go to training and I don't want be happy. I don't deserve it after what happened."

"Can I tell you a secret?" Colton prompts, turning his head towards me. There's dirt all over his face, probably all over mine too. His eye is a bit swollen, the bruises still present on his face.

I nod.

"Training isn't like school. They don't take attendance, it's impossible to do that with so many people. Skipping a few days can't hurt." He says.

"I guess I could do that."

His glance falls to my leg. "Besides, that wound its going to take at least a week to heal completely, so it's still going to hurt when you go up there."

I nod. "I know. I'm just ready for the horrible feeling in my stomach to go away. I could also use a bath to get all of this dirt off of me."

He chuckles. "That would probably be good."

When he stops speaking, I forget every single word of the english language. His gaze dissolve all of my words and I escape eye contact by looking away. He's too intimidating. "What do you do when you're not going on voyages and... stuff?"

"There's only so much you can do in the Afterworld. I train for the most part, but after a trip like this I'm probably going to get a long break before I have to do anything again. Being a voyager is rigorous work." He explains. "Why?"

It sounds like a hard job, but also one that involves the least amount of time commitment. "I was just wondering. If I need to figure out what my path is, I might as well ask you as long as you're with me."