Chapter Six

The walls feel like they're coming towards me, like they're going to crush me if I stare at them for too long

I'm so sleep deprived that I start seeing things, my mind is going insane. My eyelids are heavy and I feel like I could sleep at any moment, but my body keeps me awake. I want to sleep so badly but I can't.

Sometimes I think about what happened after I went unconscious in the church. I don't remember waking up after that, but I couldn't have died in that church because Brooke died two days before me.

I don't have any recollection of the hospital or my family or anything that happened at all. The next thing I knew I was dead and woke up in an entirely different world.

For some reason I can recall a voice yelling at me, constantly shrieking my name. I remember it echoing in my head and I have always felt like it was Nick yelling those things.

Tanner and Jack seem to deal with their deaths just fine, they seemed so happy and alive. Despite Tanner having a traumatic death, he handles it pretty well, around me at least.

But I can't help but wonder why Tanner speaks to me out of all people. How could he tell that I don't want to get involved with love interests? I certainly don't look different from everybody else. Maybe he talked to me because he knows he would never catch feelings for me.

Either way, I just hope Brooke doesn't make it too awkward with her obvious eyebrow raises or smirks. The only purpose they serve is making me feel embarrassed.

The knock finally comes. "Julia?" Stacy calls out.

It doesn't even feel like the morning, but how would I know? Oh right. My room doesn't have a window. I'm trapped in a dark room until my mentor wakes me up.

"I'm up." I pull the covers off of my body as she walks inside.

"How are you feeling this morning?" She sits down onto a bench that lays against the wall.

I know this session is going to be long since she sat down; she never sits down.

"Alright I guess." I rub my eyes.

She nods, taking a pen out of her pocket. "How often have you thought about your death in the past week would you say?"

I think about it for a moment, about the fire in Tanner's dorm, about the sleepless nights where I relive the entire event.

I think about how I don't even know where I am, what I am, or what is real. I have no sense of identity and I am only able to work with what surrounds me.

Maybe that's why I like being around Tanner so much, because he always seems to have the answers. He makes me feel sane.

"Not that much, three times maybe." I lie right through my teeth. I don't feel sorry for it either, telling her that something is wrong is pointless because some random mentor couldn't possibly help me with my PTSD. She's not a therapist or anything, her only job is to report my status and to make sure that I'm just like everybody else.