Chapter Five

A knock comes from my door

A knock comes from my door. My eyes pop open and I'm filled with confusion. I'm always awake before Stacy knocks at my door, I'm never really able to sleep here. I never sleep in places that aren't my bed at home. I miss it.

"I'm awake." I say groggily.

"How are you feeling today, Julia?" She asks, her clipboard in hand as usual.

Usually I give her my standard response, which is "good" but I knew that wasn't appropriate "Actually better than normal."

She raises her eyebrows. "Really? I'm glad to hear it." She writes some things down on her clipboard. "Are your arms still sensitive to touch?"

I shake my head. "No, that's pretty much gone now, thank goodness."

She chuckles softly while her eyes are still focused on her clipboard. "Yes, it took a while for you, didn't it?"

For you.

I ignore that part.

I suddenly remember my conversation with Tanner yesterday and what he told me about stage two eyes.

Stacy looks back up at me, her eyes sparkling. I notice her eyes are brown with a hint of blue, a glacier kind of blue. It's like ice looking at me; there are a few brown flakes inside. I have always thought her eyes were brown, but looking closer made me realize that they're mostly blue. There's also a golden stripe going across her eye, going through her pupil.

Wow, he was right. I thought it was just the sparkle that was special. How is that even possible? It doesn't even look natural up close, how do you even get your eyes to look like that?

"Only a couple more days of training. You're almost there, just bear with it. See you tomorrow morning." She smiles, then leaves. Her teeth are perfectly straight too, like her hair. She must've been really pretty when she was alive.

It confuses me when she tells me to just "bear with it" as if she knew I'm struggling. I'm getting tired of the same old thing every day. It's like she can tell exactly what I am thinking.

My friends are the only ones getting me through this.

Brooke bursts through the door as I'm zipping up my dress. Her expression brightens suddenly.

"I love your dress." She smiles and touches the silky fabric with her finger. I knew she would comment on it, but I think I can finally be confident enough to wear a dress with hardly any sleeves to cover me.

"Thank you." I laugh, "Why are you later than usual?"

She shrugs. "I thought I would get ready in my room this time instead of yours. I also had a long talk with Chris. He's great, I'm going to miss him when I leave."

"I'm probably going to miss Stacy too. Did you look into his eyes like Tanner said?" I inquire.

"Ugh!" She groans, "I forgot, I wanted to do that. Did you?"