Chapter Eighteen

"I'm sorry

"I'm sorry. How many times do I have to say it?" Brooke moves her head so her eyes are looking at mine but I shift my seating position.

I don't want to forgive her but I do. She made me relive my death, it felt so real. If I was making progress and beginning to move on from my death, that simulator ruined all of my progress.

All of it.

We sat at training in silence today, I didn't feel like speaking to anyone. Not even Tanner attempted to talk to me.

I hate distancing myself from people and I feel bad for ignoring most of Brooke's apologies.

I turn to her. "Brooke, are those lucid dream things accurate? Or is it your imagination making things up?"

She narrows her eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

I sink in my seat. "When I was in my dream, I saw us. I watched the church burn." I shiver and hold my breath for a moment. "And I saw the boys who killed us. One of them said that they heard a scream. Could they have saved us?"

Her eyes grow wide and I feel my face get hot.
"There's no way of knowing what actually happened. They probably didn't do that, there was no way of us getting out. I promise." She smiles and I turn back to the lesson.

"A voyager is by far the most dangerous path to take, but you'd only go on trips once a year or even once a month depending on how needed you are." The teacher explains. "I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't afraid of danger and is willing to do a ton of training. If you get scared easily, this one isn't for you. This path isn't made for most people in the Afterworld, which is why it is chosen the least."

Brooke looks bored, clearly she isn't interested in this path. I'm not either, it sounds like a lot of work just to travel down to Earth.

"The second most rare is a designer. A designer must know every single part of the Afterworld, they know every inch of their sector by heart, which allows them to remodel anything they want." He explains. I watch everybody take notes, but I don't need to. I'm pretty much sure I'm going to be a guardian angel.

"Any questions?"

Tanner raises his hand.

"Yes sir."

"What about authority positions? What path do you need to take to be one of those people?"

Will looks shocked at this question, and I don't blame him because I had no idea what Tanner is talking about.

"I assume you're talking about stage fours." He pauses. "Most paths last until stage four, like guardian angels. Some positions like a designer or voyager only last throughout stage three. Those whose careers end early become granters when they become a stage four. These people grant voyagers on journeys and approve of other things. Make sense?"