Chapter Thirty-Six

The food looks amazing, and Ekram wasn't exaggerating when he said there'd be a feast

The table is outside, and it is the longest table I have ever seen. It's more like a picnic table really, and there are at least fifteen people seated when Colton and I arrive. At the end of the table sits a couple, who look to be in their mid forties. The children sit next to them on either side of the table and the rest of the family takes up basically the rest of it. There are two seats at the opposite end of the table.

"Welcome Colton, it has been a long time since we've seen you." The man at the end of the table smiles. "Who's your friend?"

"This is Juliet." He replies while taking a seat.

"It is nice to meet you, Juliet. My name is Arslan and this is my wife Emine." The girl next to him grins; they have to be the parents of Kara and Ekram because they have the same exact long nose. Emine has thick brown hair that sits at her shoulders, and her lips are always set in a slight smile. Arslan has a wide jaw and thick eyebrows.

"It's nice to meet you too, the food looks wonderful." I sit down and exhale softly at how good it feels to finally sit down after five hours of walking. Five hours.

The sun isn't even setting yet and I'm starting to get tired. I could fall asleep right here, but my hunger prevented that.

"Why thank you, I always love cooking big meals." Emine looks around at the group. "Come on now, dig in!"

Everyone reaches out at different plates of food. I see lots of ham and beef, along with corn, carrots, and tomatoes. They're all embellished with dirt, like they had just been picked from the farm and haven't been washed. I don't care.

My plate is filled with food within a few seconds and I ignore how unappetizing some of it looks. I wouldn't care if it had food poisoning, all that matters is that something needs to enter my stomach soon.

"So Colton, what brought you two here?" Emine asks.

Colton swallows before answering. "Just another trip to look at the museum." The way he lies made me almost believe it. He does it so casually.

"You looked like you haven't aged a day since you were last here, how many years ago was that? Two?" Arslan comments, which makes a nervous smile spread across Colton's face.

"Maybe it's the water back in Cyprus." He chuckles.

"Who's your girlfriend?" Kara inquires, almost shy to ask the question. I can feel my cheeks fill with color and I can't help but laugh. Colton looks disgusted by the idea.

"She's not my girlfriend, she's just a friend. This trip is strictly professional." He counters, which makes the whole table go silent for a few seconds. It's humorous how offended he is by that.

"Well we're all glad you're back, you're basically the only guest we get. The kids hate it when you're gone." Arslan notes, and the kids nod in agreement.