Chapter Twenty-Seven

I'm not sure what to think, I'm starting to doubt that anyone's coming to Tanner's dorm

I'm supposed to be in my room sleeping right now, but of course I still don't have permission to skip training. I don't know why I even need this, there's hundreds of people in our group, what difference does two people make?

I can't stop thinking about what Tanner did on the roof, how it all happened so quickly. It was just a kiss on the cheek, there was probably no meaning behind it.

But why do it at all?

Does he really only see me as a friend?

Tanner's head perks up. "He's here."

"What? How do you know?" I question. I didn't hear a knock or anything.

"The footsteps." He answers and opens the door to a tall man with dark brown hair. He looks the exact opposite of Tanner.

"Miss me?" He smiles and walks inside. He's just as handsome as Tanner, and a few inches taller.

"Lucas, this is my friend Julia." He holds his arm out towards me and I smile and wave shyly.

They're both so intimidating.

But Tanner has this uncomfortable look on his face like he's scared of his own brother.

"It's nice to meet you." I say. Lucas looks at Tanner and then back at me with a wide smile on his face.

"Is this your little girlfriend?" He inquires with a chuckle. He takes a seat on Tanner's bed, which is right across where I'm sitting.

Tanner punches him in the arm. "It's not like that. She needs something from you."

His eyes lock with mine. "What is it, wings? Trip tablets?"

Before he can name anything else, Tanner stops him. "No, nothing like that. She needs your permission to miss training for a week."

His eyes darken like he's disappointed. "And what is this for?"

"She's leaving the Afterworld with a voyager." Tanner replies. He seems embarrassed by his brother.

"Really? You're going to let her do that? You scared she's gonna cheat?" He snickers.

Tanner frowns. "Shut up before I report you. You've done enough to get kicked out of here. Please just give us your signature."

I hold out the paper in front of him and he looks down at it and then back up at me.

"So if I don't sign this, then you don't get to go?" He inquires, glancing over at Tanner.

"Correct." I say.

"That gives me way too much power. What would you do if I didn't sign it?"

He still hasn't taken the paper and pen that I'm holding out at him.

"Please just do it, Lucas. You're being a pain in the ass." Tanner groans.

I laugh softly, enjoying their bickering. "I would really appreciate it."

He sighs dramatically. "Fine. But only for you, brother." Lucas takes the paper from my hand and scribbles his name on it and then returns it to me. "What are you doing, anyway?"

I finally have everything I need. His signature confirmed my trip to the Underworld. "I'm going to the Underworld." I smile proudly.

His face goes serious for a moment. "The Underworld? Damn, Tanner this woman doesn't play around."

"Don't you have a rule to break?" Tanner sneers.
Lucas laughs. "Don't you have a girl to go flirt with?" He walks towards the door and turns to me before he leaves.

"Mom and Dad wouldn't be proud of you." Tanner says under his breath, clearly loud enough for his brother to hear.

His eyes darken and he shrugs, pretending that his comment didn't offend him even though it clearly does. I notice something special in his eyes. "Have fun in hell."

Super super short chapter but also a super essential one

Super super short chapter but also a super essential one. what do you think of tanners brother?

don't forget to comment and vote ! :)

SM