Chapter Twenty-Three

I wake up early— before the sun appears  into the sky

I wake up early— before the sun appears into the sky. It's today, today I'm going to figure out whether or not my brother would have to suffer for eternity in The Underworld.

I was so excited to show him everything, the dorms and the rooms and my new friends. I know he would fit right in here, but he's unfortunately not.

Stacy told me that Nick was strange, that she could sense something was wrong with him when she tried to bless his dream. But she was sure he'd be here.

She also told me to take the silver train instead of the bronze train because that one led to the further stages of the Afterworld.

"Got the ticket?" Brooke questions and I hold it up to answer her question.

"What's our plan?" She asks.

I let out a shuddering breath, thinking about the chaos that I've endured the past twenty-four hours. I'm already on my way to get a stage four's permission and I might be going down to get him in a few days.

I mean we are on a time limit, we have to see a stage four as soon as possible.

"First, we meet with the stage four. From there, we will see." I reply.

"Did Stacy say anything about the person we're meeting with?" She inquires as we walk out of our dorm building and into a crowd of people.

"Not really" I reply, "she only talked about how I'm probably not going to be able to save Nick."

Brooke frowns. "I know we can save Nick, Julia. I'm sure of it. I'm not worried at all because I trust that they will have some sympathy for our situation." She assures me, which surprises me.

"Remember when you were saying it was a horrible idea like two days ago?" I smile.

A guilty grin appears on her face. "I was just worried about you. I don't want you to get hurt."

"Well it's too late for that." I exhale sharply. "So what have I got to lose?"

**

We approach the station and there's nobody there to ask us for our authoritative signature that we're supposed to give to someone in order to get to stage four.

Confused, both of us walk onto the train, which has its doors already open. I guess all that work was for nothing.

"Two stage twos?" A voice asks and I whip my head around. My eyes are met with a tall man that has golden eyes. How can he tell? Stage threes passed through here all the time, why would he assume that?

"Yes." Brooke replies and smiles. We agreed to be as nice as possible to make things run smoothly in our favor. I watch the man's eyes twinkle as he walks towards us.

"You two cannot ride this train." His cold voice tells us. I gulp.

"I have a signature." I hold the paper up to him and he snatches it from my hand, examining Brooke's signature for a few seconds. He looks surprised when he realizes it was real.