Chapter Sixteen

We have the next few days off

We have the next few days off. I don't have to get up or do anything all day, except Jack wants us to go with him to see Tanner.

I'm anxious to see him, maybe because I fear that it will change my perspective on him. I know I don't want him, but the idea of other girls wanting him bothers me.

Why does it bother me? It shouldn't bother me.
I stare at my TV in my room, it feels so wrong to use it. I don't want to, but the remote sitting at my nightstand is tempting me. I want to avoid everything that reminds me of being alive, because living in a room so similar to my old one will make me homesick. I don't want to escape the reality of death just to come tumbling down realizing that I lost everything in that fire.

That stupid fire ruined everything. Everything.

I press the red power button while pointing it at the tv, but nothing happens. I press it again. And again. But nothing. I leave my bed to examine the tv, maybe it isn't plugged in or something.

This tv is different from the one that I had before, there are no buttons on the side to turn it on. This isn't even a tv, it was just for decoration. A prop. That means that everything in my room, my alarm clock, is fake.

A weird feeling enters my stomach, as this doesn't feel right. Everything is artificial.

When you're dead, you can't tell what's real or not.
I turn the remote around. There isn't a place to put any batteries. Why would they even put a fake remote and a fake tv in my room? Something about this "utopia" makes me feel like there's a dark story behind it.

I shake my head. I need to focus on one conflict at a time. Right now, it's still Nick and his well-being. I toss the remote onto my bed and leave my room towards the lobby, where I would meet Brooke and Jack.

They're sitting on a couch by the front door talking. As I approach them, I notice how comfortable they look together.

I know Brooke is into him, but I'm not positive what he thinks about her. Either way, they would look cute together.

"Hi." I say, which breaks their conversation and they both look up at me.

"Shall we?" Jack stands up and we all head out the door.

"Any progress with... you know." I whisper, looking at Jack then back at her.

She shrugs. "No."

"You'll get there."

The three of us walk towards the Sapphire, and as I approach it I become more intimidated by the enormous set of buildings. Of course Tanner got the most luxurious dorm, the one with hundreds of floors and the beautiful swimming pool that I enjoyed last night. He's somebody who gets his way without even trying.

"Are we going to his room?" Brooke asks as we enter the lobby. I inhale the chilly air inside; it smells of lavender and something else-- it's similar to an expensive perfume, which matches the design entirely. This place is like a five star hotel.