Chapter Four

I find it impossible to breathe as I tumble through the sky that leads to promising chaos

I find it impossible to breathe as I tumble through the sky that leads to promising chaos. When the wings don't do anything, I begin to panic.

I reach behind me to see what's going on, but the speed at which I'm falling made it hard to move at all. My stomach grows queasy, like I could throw up at any moment. Jack's words echo in my mind.

Just make sure to trust the wings.

Well how is that working out so far, Jack?

Suddenly, the straps pull against my chest and I feel like I'm being yanked backwards. I spot a large wing to both my right and left side. They majestically move back and forth, bringing me back up to the window I jumped out of.

It's absolutely unreal. The wings take complete control as I soar through the air, circling the clouds.

I try turning my hips to go left, and I must have done it too hard because I rotate in a complete circle and keep going.

"This is amazing!" I squeal, spinning closer to the building where everyone is peeking their heads out the window. The white feathers spread outwards, slowing me down, then they wrap around my stomach, enveloping me in a blanket of whiteness.

I fall downwards, my back facing down. I shriek in both fear and confusion as to why the wings stopped flapping.

"Holy shit!" I hear somebody yell as I tumble towards the ground.

I open my mouth to gasp for air but it's like there's no oxygen to breathe. I regret volunteering to do this.

The straps tighten slightly, and my eyes pop open. I didn't even realize I had closed them. The wings spread again and I slowly soar back upwards. I turn my body to the right, and the wings begin directing me back around to the building.

The people at the window are cheering, but Brooke looks like she had seen a ghost. Once I slow down enough, my feet lower, hovering over the windowsill.

"Wow." Tanner chuckles, "The wings must like you."

I loosen the straps and hand the wings to Jack, who's holding his hand out for them. "They what?"

"Artificial wings tend to have a... personality if you will. They act differently around different people and mess with the ones they like. That's why you kept falling." Jack explains for him.

"Well they definitely had me going there. I thought I was going to keep falling. What's down there anyway?" I ask, looking back down into the endless sky.

"No clue. Maybe if you keep falling for a while you'll reach earth. Like a fallen angel or something." Tanner suggests. I make my way to the back of the room, away from the window.

"You must be an adrenaline junky, huh?" Tanner approaches me as I sit down on his couch. He stands next to me, towering over me.

"I guess so. Brooke is probably the opposite." I laugh to myself thinking of the many times she has backed out of roller coasters and other things. I'll never get to see that anymore.