Chapter Twenty-Nine

We hit the ground hard

We hit the ground hard. My back slams against the elevator floor and my eyes remain shut. I start panting, trying to catch my breath. A rush of emotions flood through me, my head hurts and my body aches. I feel like I'm being pulled to the ground by some sort of force.

An extremely foul smell fills my nostrils and I have a horrible taste in my mouth. I can feel every fiber from the ground touching my skin, and I sense the air enter my lungs as I breathe. I feel so... alive.

"I can't... get... up." I say in between breaths. "Somethings pulling me down."

"That's called gravity. Now hurry, I need to figure out where we are." I can tell he walked away based on the loudness of his footsteps. It sounds like he's stepping on dirt.

I open my eyes and above me is a bunch of rock. I sit up and next to me is rock, even the floor I'm laying on. I'm clearly not in an elevator anymore. I'm in a cave. My back hurts from the hard ground and my senses are heightened at every little movement. I now realize how numb I was in the Afterworld.

"What do you mean figure out where we are? Shouldn't you know what you're doing?" I question.

I can hear him scoffing. "There are several spawning locations that the elevator can take us to. There's no way of knowing which one we appear in."

"Can people see us?" I ask Colton as I catch up with him.

"Of course they can, we're not ghosts. What kind of question is that?" He almost laughs. I did not see the rude response coming. 

"How long do we have before Nick is stuck?" I prompt, trying to ask a question that he'll actually answer.

"One week. We need a week to get there and a week to get back. If we're here longer than two weeks, that's when we turn into ghosts." He explains. That's just another obstacle to add to our list. Great.

When we exit the cave, I'm shocked at what I see. I don't know why I expected to appear in some random place in the United States, but this looked nothing like it.

He stops walking, which makes me almost run into him. "Yep." He nods, "this is Cyprus."

"Cyprus?"

Colton pulls another granola bar from his bag and begins eating it. "It's off the coast of Turkey, which is where we need to go to get into the Underworld. Our journey won't be too bad."

"Where exactly do we need to go? Where's the elevator thing to the Underworld?" I quiz as he hands me a granola bar. This is the first time I have felt hunger in a long time. It's horrible, it's like something is ripping at my stomach constantly. I don't remember it hurting when I was alive.

"First of all, it's not an elevator, it's a gate. Second of all, we need to go to Hierapolis, where Pluto's gate is located. That's the closest place we can enter." He takes the bag off of his back and reaches inside, then pulls out a compass.