Chapter One

P A R T   O N E

P A R T   O N E

Even in the nicest places lurks corruption

My body jerks awake when I hear the aggressive knocking at the door. I groan and bury my face into my pillow. I do not want to wake up from the peaceful sleep I was having.

Stacy could at least quietly open my door and calmly wake me up, even with that cold toned voice she has. She knocks a few times more after I give her no response.

"Come in, Stacy." I tell her in a raspy voice. I roll out of bed, my white gown dropping to my knees.

She opens the door with the same clipboard leaning against her forearm and the same high ponytail. Her hair is as slick and straight as a glass wall, and just as shiny too. Her eyes are dark brown, but still manage to sparkle.

"How are you feeling, Juliet?" She questions, taking a small pencil out from behind her ear and positioning it between her fingers, ready to write.

"I don't know, fine I guess? My entire body still aches." I sigh. I don't know why she's asking me how I felt when my entire body was on fire a few weeks ago. What did she expect?

I shut my eyes at the thought, I couldn't bear it.

"It still bothers you, doesn't it?" Stacy inquires, her normal cold voice changes into a soft one. She actually sounds like she cared, not like she's only here to report my status and nothing else.

Tears well up in my eyes and I escape her eye contact by looking at the marble floors below me. I don't think I'd ever forget the horrifying heat against my body, the smell of my flesh burning, or even the look on Brooke's face when she knew she wouldn't make it.

"Are these scars always going to be here?" I ask her, my voice cracking a little.

A small smile spreads across her lips. "They probably won't. Most scars fade, but your accident was pretty bad. The worst deaths always have the most permanent scars."

I sigh, turning my wrist towards the ceiling, revealing the patches of scars all over my arms. I'm lucky I didn't get them on my face. I have a small patch on my neck, but my wrists are the most obvious.

"I know it's hard to deal with, Juliet, but you're in a good place now. For most, horrible events like this stick with people forever, even in the Afterworld. Now training starts in thirty minutes, it's best that you start to get ready." Stacy brushes my shoulder and then leaves.

It's refreshing for her to finally be nice to me. Stage two's like her are always focused on their tasks just so that they can move on to stage three of the Afterworld. Or so I hear.