Chapter 2

She could feel a cold hard surface beneath her left cheek.

Had I fallen over onto the bathroom floor?

Then, there was a sudden draft of cold air over her face. Noises. She could hear noises, hushed voices. Pages turning? Feet shuffling?

Her eyes fluttered open slowly as she tried to get a hold of her surroundings. She could see ceiling lights shine bright. She could see books stacked high. She could see people around her age bent over the books in front of them. And then, her mind was blank.

Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Amy! Come on. We must go. Issue your books," said a voice as the owner came from behind.

"Lia?"

Amy couldn't believe her eyes.

"What are you doing here?" she asked. She hadn't seen Lia in the past two years.

What was she doing here? Wait-

"Where am I?" she asked out loud.

"I had an assignment to finish. I was with my team," she pointed to a table behind her and her gaze was met with a few familiar smiling faces.

"What do you mean where am I?" Lia repeated my question as she furrowed her eyebrows and pulled her up.

"I'll wait outside," Lia said before she hurried to the door with a motive.

As soon as her brain started working properly, Amy felt her head get heavy. A throbbing pain followed as she realised where she was.

She was in a library. Not any library, but her university library.

How did I get here? Where was I before? How long was I asleep? She couldn't remember.

But something felt so familiar. What do they call it? Dejavu!

She saw Lia wave at her from outside the library door. Soon she carried her bag and her books, her heels making noise with each step she took. Upon reaching the line, she waited to issue her books.

She could feel herself grow impatient as Lia kept waving from outside, asking her to hurry up. But the boy in front of her was taking up too much time.

She clicked her tongue in annoyance. Lia never did learn patience. She wanted everyone around her to move in her speed and time. Involuntarily more noises started emanating from Amy's mouth as she tried to control her frustration.

Suddenly the boy in front of her turned around. Before she could see his face, his books shoved her to a side and she fell onto the floor, hitting her shoulder.

"I am so sorry! I am so sorry! Are you alright?"

Her arm had immediately started to hurt. Clutching it, she looked up at the boy to give him a piece of her mind.

She could physically feel the annoyed expression on her face change to that of wonder. Her pursed lips and furrowed eyebrows had given way to two sets of perfectly round eyes and relaxed mouth.

And everything, EVERYTHING suddenly made sense to her as that name slipped off her tongue.

"Hobi?"

"Amy! Amy!"

She heard a voice call from a distance as she felt a tug on her cheek. Slowly her eyes fluttered open and she saw two huge pairs of eyes staring at her.

"Are you okay?"

She sat up straight immediately from her lying position. "Easy easy," said the boy in front of her.

She looked down and then looked around. She couldn't process what was going on, but slowly, her memory was returning to her.

She was in her bathroom. He had walked out.

He. She found it so difficult to even say his name.

But then, how did I get here? Am I dreaming?

She shook her head and thought back.

He had walked out. Then I ran to my bathroom because...

She gulped at the thought. Raising her arm, she looked at it. Her heart raced as she saw a very faint line at the slimmest part of her wrist where she had...

What the hell?

All this while, the boy beside her, was observing her quietly.

"Do you need to go to the nurse's office?"

She looked up at him at his question. Still in shock, her brain couldn't comprehend his question.

"Nurse's office?" she asked.

He raised an eyebrow in confusion and then said, "Here are some of your things. Go to your dorm room. Take some rest."

He put a few things in her hand and walked away. She looked at them and saw a few books, her bag and a phone. Phone!

She unlocked it and... it felt different.

This isn't my phone.

Well, technically it wasn't her current phone.

This is my old phone from two years back.

Hesitatingly, she checked the date.

October, 2016.

Immediately, she checked the content of her phone. A lot of pictures in the gallery, a few unread texts, untouched birthday wishes, everything dated until 2016.

Sitting on a park bench in her old campus, her long hair swaying in the breeze, she realised her reality.

When I saw him inside the library, that was our first meeting. Today was our first meeting. I was wearing these clothes then too. My hair was still long before I had cut it short a year later.

It sounded crazy even without thinking, but... Have I somehow travelled to my past?

She did the most sensible thing she could do at the time. Get rest. Though at first, she had panicked about where she could go, she later remembered that she was a student in that University. She had a room to stay.

Confidently and cautiously, she walked to her then dorm room. She had found the keys in her bag. The room was empty.

She looked around the room. Life before him, it felt funny. It amazed her how she used to live without his presence; she had forgotten. Her table was full of her things. Her art stuff, paint brushes and a palette. A smile came onto her lips. When he had entered her life, they were replaced by their stuff, or his stuff. Her smile fell.

Slowly, she sat on her bed.

I need to calm down and think what the hell is going on.

Her back against the bedpost, one leg upon the bed and one dangling from it, she tried to relax and think.

Here is what I have understood so far.

She took in a deep breath and thought.

I have somehow travelled back in time.

It sounded ridiculous. She did what everyone did at moments like these. She pinched herself well to see if it hurt.

"Ah!" She cried in pain. Yup, it hurts.

So she wasn't dreaming.

But how was this possible?
The last thing I can remember is... him walking out.

Every time she thought of it, there was a painful pang in her chest. She sighed.

She had waited to die. She had wanted to end it all.

And then something dawned on her.
She had also wanted to see him desperately.

Have I been given a second chance?
I had prayed to make things right. I had prayed to come back. Were my prayers answered? Has God given me another chance to fix our relationship?