Chapter 16

Phone to her ear, Amy paced back and forth across her room. Absentmindedly she bit the nail on her forefinger as she listened to the phone ring twice, before it was attended to. 

"When did you get back, Hobi? Or were you so hungover that you were asleep till evening?" She asked.

"Is this Hobi's girlfriend?" 

Amy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. This wasn't Hobi's voice.

"Yes," she replied, "Who is this?" She asked. 

"I am a friend of Hobi's. My name is Juan."

Juan

Amy's face darkened. She was familiar with this name and the person. In her reality, where she and Hobi were together and before everything had gone downhill, Amy had come across him. 

It was at one of the first parties Hobi had taken Amy to and Amy had wanted to create a good impression among his friends. Hobi had so proudly led Amy by her hand to introduce her to his friends. 

"This is my girlfriend, Amy." Amy had waved at a bunch of guys infront of her. "Amy, this is (a few names that Hobi himself had forgotten) and Juan," Hobi put his arm around the boy's shoulder and said, "He has been with me the longest." Juan had put forward his hand for a hand shake and Amy very politely shook it with a smile.

A few minutes into the party, Hobi had gotten caught up with his friends when Juan approached her, watching her lost and alone. 

"Do you need a refill?" He had asked her or yelled due to the loud music.

"No. And this is non alcoholic," Amy pointed to her unfinished bottle and yelled, "I have to drive Hobi home. I can't be drunk." 

Juan pouted and said, "That's sad. Hobi shouldn't treat his girlfriend this way."

Amy smiled and said, "No he shouldn't!"

Juan moved closer to her suddenly and spoke in her ear, "If you were my girlfriend I would___" 

Blocking out those words from her brain was a choice Amy had deliberately taken. Standing rooted to her spot, she stared at him with disbelief. She had watched him move away from her and say. "You get what I mean?" He had winked. 

Amy had slapped him right then and there. 

On the ride back home, Amy and Hobi had their first fight. 

"How can you not believe me?" Amy had asked him.

"Juan and I have been friends for years. I know him. He wouldn't say such a thing."

"Are you saying that I'm lying?" Amy asked again as she took a turn.

"I'm saying that maybe you misunderstood what he said," Hobi replied.

"I know what he meant, Hobi. I'm not naive."

"No. I'm saying, suggesting, that maybe you misheard him. It was too loud at the party. We were practically yelling at the top of our lungs."

"But Hobi-"

"Isn't there a possibility that you might have misheard him at the party?" 

Amy had no answer. She didn't want to argue anymore. But she had never trusted Juan after that.