Chapter 14

"Amy?"

Amy broke from her trance as he called her name.

"Yeah?" She replied.

"Are you okay?" He asked again.

"Yeah," she said as she nodded.

After dinner, Hobi and Amy had decided to go for a walk.

Hobi had noticed the sudden change in Amy's demeanor after the news. She had gone extremely quiet. Even as they walked, she mostly stared at a distance, lost in thoughts. He felt concerned.

All of a sudden, he took her hand in his. Holding her small hand, tightly among his large hands, he said, "It's okay. We are safe. You are safe. There is nothing we could have done. We didn't know it was going to happen."

But Amy couldn't quite agree with him. She knew it was going to happen.

Could she have saved all those people? But if she did, wouldn't that change the future? Their future had dramatically changed in the past few weeks, so it seemed futile to her to put an effort into saving those people. Her prime concern was to save Hobi and she was willing to do anything for it. But she felt guilty, very guilty.

With a heavy heart, she looked up at him and nodded.

"Come on, I'll walk you till the hostel," he said as they continued walking.

It was dark as most shops had closed. The street lights placed equidistantly painted yellow spots on the dark path. It was beautiful, cozy and cool.

It was complete silence except the occasional car and a humming Hobi. She listened to him for a while and asked, "What are you humming?"

"It's just something I wrote," he replied, rubbing the back of his head, ruffling his hair.

"A song?" She asked.

"Yeah," he said, "I love making music actually."

"I know," she said.

"You do?" He asked, a bit surprised at her response.

Realizing her blunder, she sought for a quick escape. "I assumed! Because you keep humming all the time. And that too, songs I have never heard."

Hobi thought for a while and nodded his head. He said, "I want to be a musician. Someday in the future."

Amy smiled and then it fell. Hobi hadn't actually pursued music as a career. She had even forgotten that he had this dream. She wondered why.

Unexpectedly, a man bumped into them from the alleyway. As Amy staggered back, Hobi got hold of her.

"Give me your wallet," he murmured under his breath. But it was so silent that Amy could hear him very clearly. Her eyes grew wide in shock and she started walking backwards pulling Hobi with her.

"Hey! HEY!" the man yelled at them, "Don't move! And do not create a scene."

He pulled out a knife from his dark brown jacket and waved at them. "I just want the money. I might even let you go." He said. The calmness in his voice scared her even more.

Amy's heart beat at a fast pace in her chest.

"Hobi let's run!" Amy screamed.

"We don't have much money. We are just students," Hobi tried to reason with the man.

"Let's run!" Amy screamed again.

"On a date aren't you? Ate food didn't you? I haven't eaten in days," said the man.

"We are working students. We make very little and live using that," said Hobi.

"You think I care? Or are you throwing it on my face that you go to college? And make big bucks?"

Amy didn't want to listen more. Fear had taken over her and she could predict what was going to happen. Without waiting another second, she pulled Hobi by the hand and ran. A few steps, that's all she could take.

She fell to the ground, face down. Beside her, a second later, Hobi had fallen. Amy tried to get up from the ground and get to him, and that's when she felt it. A blinding pain on her upper back. She tried to touch the spot, but she could barely move her hand without feeling pain.

She fell flat onto the ground. To her left, lay Hobi. His eyes were closed. A red pool slowly emanating from under his head.

"Hobi..." she called him softly.

Footsteps from behind told her someone was approaching. Hands. She felt hands on her jean pockets. She could hear the zipper of her bag open and things fall out.

"Hobi..." she called him again.

Then, she saw the man move onto Hobi. He checked Hobi thoroughly as well. Flipped him like a sack of potatoes and continued his search. When the man finally found Hobi's wallet, he stood up.

"Hobi... I'll save you next time. I promise," Amy said as the pain took over her brain and tears escaped her eyes.

She saw the man walk to her instead. When he went around and stood behind her, she lost him from sight. And then she felt the tug on her back. The knife was being pulled out very slowly. Excruciating pain blinded her. One last look at hobi amidst her tears and she lost her consciousness.