Chapter 19

Amy wasn't satisfied with the way things had ended between them earlier that day. Hence, she decided to surprise Hobi by going to his band practice.

With a box full of donuts in her hand, Amy walked to the tiny garage Hobi and his friends practiced in. She could hear the sound of instruments from outside itself. As she walked in, she heard a female voice cheering them; a very familiar female voice.

Walking in, her doubts were confirmed. It was Lia.

Hobi's eyes fell on her as soon as she entered.

"Amy?" He asked, "What are you doing here?"

"Are those donuts?" asked a member from the band, who looked kind of familiar, and in a second he swept the whole box from Amy.

"I thought I'd surprise you," Amy murmured, her eyes shifting between Hobi and Lia.

Lia just stood on her spot, which wasn't far from Hobi as she stared at Amy with a condescending smile.

Hobi hurried to Amy and pulled her to a side. "Look, I didn't know she would be coming. I didn't invite her. He did," Hobi pointed at his friend who was busy with the donuts.

Amy remained silent.

"Are you mad?" He asked.

"No," Amy replied, "Yes. Maybe. I don't like her Hobi. And she doesn't like me!"

"She seems quite friendly to you. She said nice things about you once before," he said.

"She is acting! Wait-" Amy said, "What do you mean, once before?"

Hobi sighed.

"Is this not the first time she is here?" asked Amy.

"Well, no..."
"But this is my first time here. You never let me watch you practice."
Avoiding meeting her eyes, Hobi remained looking on the floor away from her.

Amy let out a short breath of frustration.

"I'm leaving Hobi. I can't stand here watching this, watching her being so friendly and close to you," Amy said as she placed two steps back.

"I was wondering when I would get to see the two of you together," Lia said as she joined them. "You are so lucky Amy, to have him. I was so jealous when I heard you two were dating," Hobi beamed at the compliment and looked at Amy.

"To think we had almost dated once!" Said Lia turning to Hobi as she laughed, "I was just a few minutes late, else we would have been dating now."

Hobi's smile fell. He gazed at Amy and saw that she wasn't happy with this news.

"Cool. I'll leave and let the couple talk."

Amy watched Lia walk away.

"You two had almost dated once?" Amy asked Hobi as soon as Lia left. Hobi shook his head. "It was just for a bet, she had told me later. We didn't actually date. Besides, I met you that day and asked you out, didn't I? I liked you, not her."

But Amy knew this wasn't the entire truth. Amy was there just at the nick of time. Amy had just gotten lucky and she has been playing her luck for months now. But...

"So if I wasn't in the picture, you'd be dating her now," she said and added quietly to herself, "Like you have once already."

"Huh? I have not dated her!"
"Can you deny that she doesn't like you?"

"Well...," he hesitated and then said at once, "She doesn't like me!"

She knew that Hobi was lying to her. He knew that Lia liked him. Lia herself had made it pretty obvious mere ten seconds back.

With a heavy feeling in her chest Amy said, "I'll talk to you later Hobi."

Amy thought a lot that evening. Lying in bed, with lights off she wondered what to do. She had skipped bath and dinner, for those seemed so unimportant.

She lay awake, her phone by her side. A fruit knife sat idle on the bed stand as she waited for her phone to ring.

But it didn't.

It was ten past 12 now. Finally, she decided to call him instead.

She dialled his nuber and waited. He didn't pick up. She teied again. Nothing. It was only on her third try that he attended her call.

"Amy? It's ten past twelve," Hobi responded. His voice sounded tired.

"Exactly. Why didn't you call?" She asked him.

"I thought you must have fallen asleep. It's so late," he replied. In the background, Amy could hear laughs.

"Are you with friends?" She asked.

"Yeah. We decided to grab a few drinks after practice," he replied.

"Hobi... Who is we?"

Amy waited quietly but didn't get an answer. The line was silent except for a few laughs in the background.

"Hobi?" She called again.

"We'll talk tomorrow." And with that, he cut the call.

Amy stared at her phone screen that blinked Hobi's name four times before it went blank. Silently, she breathed but she felt too conscious about this mere act that was vital ofr her existence.

Everybody leaves, she thought.

She sat up on her bed and turned her body to her side. Keeping her phone aside, she put her feet on the floor. Her legs dangled for a minute until her eyes fell on the fruit knife.

This time, she didn't know why she wanted to do it. This time, she felt numb and anxious. She was tired and had no idea how to fix it.

She just wanted a do over.