Chapter 18

Two weeks had gone by. 

The sky was the same, the clouds were the same. Birds chirped, children played, leaves fell, flowers bloomed. And Amy was wary.

Each and every step she made, she was careful. It had been a month this time, and so far, things were looking up. Hobi was still with her and had started addressing her as his girlfriend now. Amy felt satisfied. 

One thing she hated about these 'round trips' was attending the classes. Sure, she loved the college and the campus. But assignments? Tests? It was not like she improved even after attending them countless times now. 

Do I really have to listen to this? She thought. Both her elbows on the desk, the hands that once took notes were limp and lay lazily with boredom. 

Psst. 

Pssssst.

Amy lazily looked to her front row and saw Lia wave at her without getting caught by the professor. 

"What?" Amy mouthed the word.

"Are you and Hobi really dating?" Lia whispered.

Amy felt annoyed. Why does she want to know?

"Yeah," Any answered and looked away.

"Be careful. He doesn't stay for too long," Lia whispered again and turned to the professor with a smile.

Amy scoffed. 

"What's wrong?" Hobi asked as he joined her side. After class, the two had decided to go for a walk. 

"Why are you friends with Lia when she clearly is a bad person?" Amy asked him directly. Hobi looked at her and said, "Lia is just a little different from you. She isn't a bad person."

"Hobi, you don't know her. Today she said that I should be wary of you since 'you don't stay for too long' " Amy responded as she air quoted. 

Hobi smiled, "I'm sure she meant it as a joke."

"Don't take this lightly!" Amy felt annoyed at his reaction. 

"Isn't Lia your friend? Should you talk bad about her behind her back?" asked Hobi.

"She won't be for long," Amy muttered under her breath.

"What?" Hobi asked.

"Nothing," said Amy.

"Look Amy," Hobi held her upper arm and stopped her.

He said, "I have known Lia long before you did. She was my friend. She is your friend too. Why create problems? Just let it go. Ignore whatever she does to irritate you."

Amy observed his face. He looked calm but his tone clearly showed that he was irritated. Hobi hated it whenever others complained, she knew that. But to hear him support Lia was bothering her. 

"But Lia-"

"I'm going for band practice. I'll see you tomorrow," he said as he cut her short and left.