Chapter 20

A draft of cold air. It touched her face and she opened her eyes. 

She was tired. Her body limp, her mind blank. She didn't know what to do this time. She couldn't understand her purpose anymore. Physically she felt like a baby, rising with full energy after a sleep. But mentally, her battery was too low and about to die.

A tap on her shoulder and-

"Amy, come-"

"Yeah yeah. Whatever," Amy interrupted Lia as she stood up. Without a second glance at her, Amy walked to Hobi.

She stared at a very oblivious Hobi for a good whole minute before she decided to go for round 39. 

"Excuse-" halfway through her throat closed up and she coughed, for real this time. 

"Water?"
"Water?"

Two bottles were put forward to her by two different arms. One was from Hobi, and the other from the boy who stood behind her. 

Amy stared at the second boy. 

"Water?" Hobi asked again out of concern.

"Huh? Yeah! Thanks," Amy took the bottle from him and drank a mouthful. When she felt at peace, she returned the bottle to Hobi and turned to the other boy.

"You! I have seen you before," she said pointing at him. He stared at her pointed little index finger, retracted his bottle into his bag and said, "Well I go to this college, so-"

"No. I have seen you many times. You are always there. You are everywhere," she said, still staring at him.

He stared back at her with furrowed eyebrows and then said, "I'm sorry I'm 'always there'," he air quoted, "I'll try to be less seen, I guess."

By then, Hobi had already issued his books and walked to the door leading out. While Amy was still stuck in her daze, the boy said, "Hey Hobi! Wait up, I need your help."

Amy's eyes followed the boy and heard him talk to Hobi, "Listen, about the apartment-"

Half an hour had gone by. Students came and left. Presentations were made, papers were written. And Amy sat in silence at a lonely spot in the library, thinking about the boy.

He was always there, she thought. 

I met him the first time I fainted, when I tripped and fell in here, when I overtook him to the line, at the carnival, at the band practice, and lord knows what other times, but he was always there. He was around me all the time. I was so caught up in getting Hobi, I barely noticed his existence. 

Wondering if she was having her moment of epiphany, Amy sat up straight. Tiny specks of possibilities started blooming in her head, but she was afraid to think out loud.

What if? She wondered, but was afraid to finish that sentence.