Chapter 7

With a loud thud, she fell off her chair. 

While some looked up from their books, a few stood on their toes to see the girl who was stupid enough to fall off her chair in the library. 

Amy staggered back on the floor in shock, her heart racing uncontrollably. Out of nowhere, a hand got hold of her arm and pulled her up to her feet. It was Lia.

"Are you okay Amy? Come on. We must go. Issue your books."

As Lia walked ahead quickly to the door, it took Amy to look around and familiarize herself with the situation. 

"Hey, are you okay?" Someone asked her  seeing her fumbling form, as she hurriedly took her things and ran to the line. 

As soon as she stood behind the already waiting Hobi, she decided not to waste any time. She tapped on his shoulder. Hobi turned around and saw a panting Amy, trying to catch her breath.

Amy could hear her pulse in her ears. The noises in the library like the air conditioner, shuffling shoes, walking, tapping of keyboard, pages flipping clouded the background. But when she realized that Hobi was actually waiting for her to talk, she calmed herself down.

"I like you," a deep breath.

"Will you go out with me?" another deep breath. 

"Please?" She asked him.

He stared at her wide eyed. Quite a few times, he opened his mouth and closed it. Then he asked, "Do you need some water?"

Amy smiled and nodded.

Outside the library, after assuring that she was fine and asking Lia to leave, Amy stayed back to talk to Hobi. 

"Thanks for the water," she said, returning the bottle. Hobi simply smiled. While keeping his bottle inside his bag, he asked, "Umm what's your name again?"

"Oh sorry. I'm Amy," she replied.

"Ohkay I'm-"

"Hobi, I know."

He looked confused. He said, "Hobi is my pet name. My name is actually Jung Hoseok. How do you know my pet name?" 

Amy stood frozen as she begged her brain to think fast. 

"Because… I… have been noticing you for a while. That's how I know."

That should be believable, right?

Hobi thought for a second, then nodded and then smiled.

"What you did in there was very cute, and brave! I have never been asked out by a pretty girl this way," he said.

Amy blushed without warning. Hiding her cheeks, and the side of her lips that were begging to smile, she said, "I don't know what got over me suddenly."

"Okay," Hobi continued, "I know a little place. It's a small cafe with a great view. It's one of my favorite places. I'd like to take you there."

"Sounds great," Amy smiled, nodding her head.

"How about we go tomorrow evening?" He asked.

"NO!"

Amy's reaction surprised him. 

"Why not?" He asked.

"I… have an assignment to finish. How about tomorrow morning?" She asked him.

"I have class tomorrow morning," he replied, "The day after tomorrow?" 

Amy thought and said, "Umm sure. Day after tomorrow sounds great."

Next day evening, news about a car crashing into the flower shop came in passing in the university cafeteria. It was in the evening and there were no casualties. Nobody cared.

The day after, Amy got ready in the same yellow dress and waited for Hobi with a small cupcake as a gift. As she waited for him downhill, she watched the cars pass by with caution. 

She felt uneasy.
The initial excitement about getting a chance to be with him, those feelings of first love, emotions and butterflies were being replaced slowly by anxiety. Any sudden movements scared her; someone walking by, a bird flying by, honking cars, sharp objects...

Soon, she saw him across the road. He waved at her and she returned it. Just seeing him made her feel at ease. Her heartbeat slowed down and she felt relieved. 

As she watched him cross, she heard a commotion. To her left, at a distance, she saw a little girl running into the busy road. As her mother cried after her, a bunch of vehicles swerved to avoid hitting her. Amy's heart dropped and she placed small steps towards the forming crowd. 

And then, she heard the screeching of a tyre from the other side. She turned her attention to the new noise.

A car had driven into the crossing and hit a light post. Smoke filled the air and people started crowding around the car. Amidst all this commotion, she could see it clearly.

A hand.

A hand, lying very still on the ground, under the car.

Hobi was nowhere to be seen.