Chapter 17

Another update because I felt like it.

--

This was the first time Amy had come across Juan in this life.

"Actually Hobi had come with us to the trek," Juan continued. Amy nodded, holding in her feelings, as she waited for him to finish, "But… Has he contacted you since Saturday?" 

Amy felt confused. "No. Because he said there wouldn't be any signal there."

There was silence from the other side. Amy's heart sank as she realized where this was going. 

No, she thought. 

"What happened to him?" She asked.

"Ahh…" the person on the phone fidgeted. 

"Please just tell me," she begged on the phone.

"He had volunteered to stay back in the tent to watch over our things while we went to explore. We always took turns to watch things every time we went out, it's not like we forced him to stay back. But when returned, he… He was not there."

"What do you mean he wasn't there?" She asked.

"All of his stuff was there. His clothes, phone, gadgets, wallet, everything. But he wasn't. It was like he had just disappeared…"

Amy remained quiet digesting everything she heard. 

"Please tell me if you find any news. Please…" she said before putting her phone down. 

Just then, her phone buzzed and she got a notification. It was a text from her mother. Without opening the text, she threw away her phone and sat down on the bedroom floor. 

She wasn't sad. She was just angry; frustrated. 

How much more do I have to try? She looked up at the ceiling and thought. 

No point in wasting time here.

She sighed, stood up and walked to the bathroom.

**

A draft of cold air on her face and Amy woke up. She ran to Hobi, avoiding the kid, and got to the line. Coughed. Got his attention. Got a date.

A week later, they had the date at the cafe uphill. 

"Trekking?" Amy asked, feeling concerned, "Can you not go? I had something planned for tonight."

"You did?" He asked, raising his eyebrows. 

"You can go next time! Just not tonight," she said, touching his hand.

She pouted, then smiled and made a few cute expressions. First, he furrowed his eyebrows and then, he smiled.

"Alright alright. I won't go," he said.

After a simple date that evening, the two returned to their rooms. Monday afternoon Hobi dropped in front of her.

"You will not believe what happened!" 

Amy swallowed the food in her mouth and asked, "What happened?" 

Hobi sat down, put aside his bag and broke the news. "One of the guys who went for the trekking trip is missing."

"WHAT?" 

"Yes! Vanished into thin air and all his things left behind in the tent."

"Oh my god…" 

Amy was taken by surprise. It came as a shock to her as she didn't expect the same to happen to someone else. 

I thought the disaster just wouldn't happen. I didn't think it would happen to someone else.

Just then, her phone buzzed. It was her mother again. With furrowed eyebrows she thought and then she had the realization. 

Oh yes. The second week I met Hobi was when… Hmmm. 

"Who is it?" Hobi had noticed Amy ignoring her phone.

"Nobody important," she said as she shrugged and kept her phone aside.

--
Should I update one more chapter?