34

"I didn't know what they did to me. I heard gunshots outside, bombs go off. I was too out of it to do anything, get up, or run away." He looks over to his left then back at his hands that are sitting in his lap. "Steve came and saved me. Part of me knew he would, he always has. I remember walking across the fire. Steve told me to go but I didn't, I couldn't."

He tells me about when he got back, celebrating, having a good time. The events leading up to the train accident. "I really tried to hang on but the bar slipped, I fell. I thought I was going to die. I should have died. I didn't know how I survived a fall like that." His voice cracks and I can see tears coming down his face, "I remember I heard footsteps and thought 'Steve I knew he would come I knew he would save me.' When I saw... Zola... I knew how I survived the fall. I knew Steve wasn't coming."

He continued to tell me all of his HYDRA horror stories, missions he went on, trying to fight to get his mind back, the consequences if a mission failed. He told me what is was like going out on his own after he dragged Steve out of the water, reading about himself, his journals.

We both cried, I did more than him, lots of hugs which I'm now discovering he was never a big fan of hugs. I mean a couple short ones here are there but that's about it.

We talked all night until he finally fell asleep around 5. I couldn't fall asleep though, we were laying down on his bed, his arms wrapped around me, I wanted to be in this moment forever; I couldn't waste my time with him by sleeping.

I did eventually fall asleep though and woke up around 10 with Bucky still sleeping beside me, he didn't move once in his sleep.

Before I get up to make coffee, I give him a quick kiss on the cheek trying not to wake him up. He just looks so cute while he's sleeping I can't take it.

I quietly and carefully get out of bed without moving the blankets but I end up waking him up anyway.

"Where are you going?" he asks sitting up.

I turn around smiling and go to kiss him. He kisses me back softly but passionately, "Just making some coffee, do you want some?"

"Sure." He smiles and lays back down.

After I get out there, I decide to make him breakfast in bed. It's the least I can do considering everything he's been through.

I mix up some pancake batter and put in on the frying pan, "What are you doing?"

I turn around and look at Bucky who is now in the doorway, "Go lay back down!"

He chuckles a little bit and starts to walk over, "Why?"

"Because now go law back down!" I laugh and run over to him and try to push him back to bed but he's too strong and won't budge.

He leans down and kisses me again and again slowly going from my lips to my neck, down to my collarbone. As much as I wanted him to keep going, I playfully punch his arm and gently push him away, "I'm making you breakfast in bed but that means you have to go lay back down."

"Okay." He just smiles so I turn around thinking he was gonna go back and lay down. I go back over to the stove and feel him his arms wrap around my waist from behind. "I just don't know if I want to let go of you yet."

I drop my hands down so my arms go over his. I love this but I cant get used to it.

My phone rings but I don't pick it up. I see it's Steve calling, not sure why. Probably about yesterday or something. He calls me again. I sigh and step forward to pick up my phone as Bucky loosens his grip from me.

"Hello?"

"Where were you this morning?"

I totally forgot about our run. I didn't think it was that big of a deal though, "Oh I slept in, sorry."

"It's okay you just had me worried. Do you mind if I stop by in a bit?" Why? Steve never comes to visit me much anymore. "Uh yea sure that's fine."

"Great! See you in 20."

"Who was that?" Bucky asks as I set my phone down hugging me tighter again and setting his chin on my shoulder. "Steve. He wants to stop by in a little bit."

"Did he say why?" I feel his body tense up as he lets go.

"No. Is that okay? If he comes over for a little bit?"

"Yea that's fine." His face went pale but he tried to lighten it up again, "I'm gonna go lay down. Don't be too long out here doll."

I just give him a small smile before watching him disappear into his bedroom. Why would he not want Steve to come over? Things must have went good when they talked before, Steve was so happy.

Well time will tell. I bring Bucky his pancakes with syrup on the side and we sit there in bed eating trying to take in every moment I can.