twenty two.

there was no more time to dawdle.

you needed to tell your father before it's too late.

"this... is where the portal is," you revealed with your arms gesturing towards the back wall of an alleyway. oikawa's face didn't look impressed.

"an... alleyway. i've passed this place a hundred times and there was a portal the whole time?" he quoted while walking towards the dark, brick wall. he hovered a hand over it, testing to see if what you remarked was true.

you shrugged as the portal didn't appear, "obviously it wouldn't work. you're not a demon," your squinted in obviousness. the brunette opened his mouth to speak before getting sent flying backwards by a hard wind. you caught his hand while he tumbled backwards for him to regain his balance. but your head was turned towards the looming portal.

the same lightening blue shade began to whirl around like a cyclone before it finished into an oval shape. then, out stepped out your expected father. oikawa's face dropped.

"estopia," your father spoke while he extended his back from having to bend over to enter the portal. you tightened your grip on oikawa, eyes filling with irritation.

"father. this is oikawa," you looked towards the terrified brunette. your boyfriend was freaked out by the elder's height. his neck was craned all the way upwards. oikawa's height was probably at level with your father's abdomen.

"nice to feet you-i mean meet you," tooru awkwardly cringed with clenched teeth. you wanted to elbow the dork right then an there but you restrained yourself. idiot!

your father glanced at the brunette for a second before turning back to you with his dark as night eyes, "so. what's the point of this? did you just want me to meet a human or are you going to come back home now?" his tone was harsh and insincere.

he's more than a human to me.

"no," you chewed the inside of your cheek in annoyance, "i wanted to ask something, actually," you boasted while loosening your clasp around oikawa's hands. you took a few steps closer to your father, "you let this portal stay open for oikawa and i, and i'll come home."

oikawa's mouth dropped as he watched you in confusion. that wasn't the deal you had mentioned previously but with your father's unhappy demeanour, you'd have to put everything on the line.

"estopia. do you realise the danger that puts us in? any human could walk through at any given moment. and if you haven't realised already, no human has ever come to the underworld," your old man's sharp fingers held the bridge of his long nose. you felt a gush of anger slowly arise inside you. you squeezed your fists shut, digging your nails into your palm. don't yell. breathe.

"well, has any human tried?!" you scoffed while your shoulders stiffened upwards. oikawa looked off to a brick wall. he didn't know how to act.

"...no. but i don't think you want to risk it," he retorted. he angled his head upwards in a commotion of dominance. but you wouldn't stand it.

"father, please! you don't understand! oikawa can try, it can't be any different than us," you begged while you cupped both your hands around one of oikawa's. his fingertips felt cold.

"no, estopia. stop being so stubborn. do you want him to get killed so you can have your way? no demon will like a human. and think about my position as a royal guard. if they ever found out i allowed a human to trespass, i'll lose everything. stop thinking about yourself for once," his eyebrows furrowed while his tone became sterner. you felt hopeless.

but what he said wasn't wrong.

you were selfish in every way possible.

and too naive to realise.

"selfish?! where do you think i learned that from?! you wanted me to come to earth so you can earn money," you blasted while gripping your own hair with your claws. you father stood unfazed at your outburst. he expected it anyways.

because of his "please estopia, do it for me...?" at his meeting room, you were dumb enough to oblige. yet that wasn't the first time.

he constantly guilt tripped you and twisted your words to get his way.

all of a sudden you heard a gasp from behind the three of you. you cracked your neck to look at the source of the noise.

there stood a singular human girl with her mouth covered with her hands. she was horrified.

we've been found out!

immediately, you father grew what looked like a black shadows with red, angry eyes within it behind him. he then loomed towards the girl and twisted her neck roughly. your face winced while you heard a loud crack from her. as she dropped to the ground, your father slowly dragged her by the ankles into the darkness of the alleyway.

oikawa's had a guilty, cheesy smile while watching your father at work. he was scared for his life but he found amusement in your father getting worked up just to knock out a human.

the elder dusted off his hands after dumping the young girl in a corner, "well then. i believe we should cut this short since we could get caught," the raging shadows died down. your lips were agape while you watched how nonchalant he was acting, "you came here to find kuroo and we have him. there's no other reason for you to stay here."

tooru's heart shattered a little. his face faltered while he looked lost. "yes there is. i want to stay with him," you gazed up at oikawa, "please..." you spoke out brokenly.

your father's eyes softened while he saw your helpless state. he shook his head with a sad look painted on his face, "i'm sorry, essy," the man hovered his hand out for you to take. this is it. you hesitated while feeling a strain in your neck. it doesn't have to be. you felt that same guilted chain around your heart.

your father climbed one of his lanky legs inside the blue whirl of magic. you took a step towards him.

"estopia, wait!" oikawa shouted as he jogged slowly towards you. his voice calling out to you made you want to run into his warm arms and never let go. but it was too late. your time was up.

you turned your head towards him a little, not enough for you to see him though. i can't look at him. it'll hurt too much!

you heard him sigh heavily before his arms swung around your waist and stopped you from moving forwards.

— "don't go! please, don't leave!"

the desperation in his tone made your eyes water in regret. damn it! just turn back already!

"i'm sorry..." you cried out, your lips trembling. your father scanned the two of you with pride.

he won.

"i'll come back..." you whispered as quietly as you could before retracting his arms around you. you treaded further away from your happiness. oikawa's nose began to turn pink at the sight of you leaving but, he understood what you said.

you didn't spare him another glance as you turned your back away and entered the portal.

%%
twenty two. fin.