Chapter 2 - R.A.B

The next week followed on as normal, getting back into the school routine proved to be tiring. I woke up early in the morning, Marlene, Mary and Lily slept peacefully still is as I got dressed I was careful not to wake them. I brushed my teeth and my h/c hair before putting on a leather jacket which was actually Marlene's but we all shared wardrobes.

Once I was ready and presentable, I walked down the moving stair cases. The castle was quiet, hardly anyone was awake and while I enjoyed a big crowd and lots of company, I needed mornings like this sometimes.

It was a peaceful September morning and the Summer sun hadn't yet gone away although some orange leaves had started to fall. There was still dew on the grass and mist hung in the crisp air. I sat down in one of my favorite spots by a big tree near the lake, it was out of sight of the castle and no one ever came down here.

I sat down and began to create a fact file on werewolves that I had to do for care of magical creatures along with drawings, oh I knew a good bit about werewolves alright one of my best friends was one.

"Do you mind? I want to sit here." I looked up to see none other than Regulus Black standing a few feet away looking down at me distastefully with that Black family snob attitude that Sirius had unlearned.

"Well I'm here so you'll have to find somewhere else." I responded and went back to my drawing, most people did whatever he said. He was from one of the most influential families in the wizarding world. I figured it was time someone didn't.

"I beg your pardon?" Regulus looked stunned like no one at Hogwarts had ever spoken to him like that before. I couldn't help but smirk in amusement as he grew more annoyed.

"I'm not one of those first years who's terrified of you. Are we really going to have the 'I was here first' argument?" I reached in my pockets and pulled out a box of cigarettes, I didn't have a bad habit of smoking but I enjoyed a cigarette once in a while.

"Well those first years know where they stand compared to me. You should too." He looked down at me and crossed his arms. He was definitely eyeing my cigarettes I could tell he wanted one.

"I know where I stand, currently in the spot you're making a big fuss over." I smirked and blew smoke in his direction watching as it got carried on the mist.

"Honestly do you know who I am?" He spoke calmly but more and more frustration was starting to show in his voice.

"No I don't." I lied and gave him a smile. I knew very well who he was but I needed to humble him. I would often get the popular Slytherins to remind me of their names purely to bring them down a few pegs. "But I can see you eyeing my cigarettes so I'll do you a deal. I'll give you one if you shut up then maybe you can tell me as you seem to have a very high opinion on yourself." I smirked a little and held out the box to him "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Y/n Potter." I grinned.

"Regulus Black." He took a cigarette and sat down next to me "You already knew that though didn't you." he smirked.

"Yup." I grinned looking over at him "you needed humbling." I wondered what Sirius would say if he knew I was having a cigarette with his brother.

"No surprise that you're a Potter. So arrogant." He lit the cigarette and puffed out smoke.

I just laughed, he wasn't wrong. "No surprise you're a Black, can't see past blood status." I pointed out. I was surprised he was even sitting next to me right now, I was a pureblood but our families views couldn't be more different.

"Well I'm sat here with you right now aren't I?" He looked over at me with a small smile, most I'd ever seen.

"Ooh lucky me." I teased him although for some reason I found his company almost enchanting. I figured there was so much more to him than being Sirius's perfect younger brother.

"Definitely a friend of Sirius's." Regulus sniffed but I could see the smile tugging at his lips. "Never shuts up."

Of course I knew all about the Black family dysfunction, I was often the one Sirius ranted to. James often tried to focus on the positive, Remus tried to find a solution, I just listened and let him get it all out.

"Well I personally don't think you're half as bad and Snivellus and that lot. They're utterly infuriating, you're just annoying." I smirked

"Wow what a compliment." He even laughed a little. Up until today I had only ever seen his face as an emotionless mask, it was impossible to tell what he was thinking. The more I spoke to him the more I wanted to know him.

Our petty argument about the spot under the tree was clearly forgotten and we stayed talking for a while. He seemed to get more comfortable as time went on until I heard the loud voices of Sirius, James and Marlene. I could only assume that was my entire group. It was just those three that you heard them long before you saw them.

"Shit I need to go, Sirius would kill me." I stamped out my cigarette with my boot and Regulus Black even looked disappointed. "I'll see you around I guess?" I didn't know when I would next talk to him maybe this was a one off although I hoped not.

"Uh yeah sure." He nodded and I noticed him give me a quick look up and down which made me blush but I turned away so he didn't see. "I got the spot in the end!" He called as I walked away, I turned around to see a triumphant smile on his face.

"Tosser!" I called back grinning playfully and then I ran to join my friends.

We had no reason to be friends, everything we had were polar opposites. Our family, our friends, our opinions. But somehow I knew that wasn't my last time hearing from Regulus Black.