71

"Alright new recruits, think of this as your one-time audition." Miles smudged at me through the crowd of men, I was the only female amongst ten men, they all must be wondering what I'm doing, I'm starting to wonder that myself. "We'll find out what your specialties are, starting with knife throwing."

Great! Someone must've told him I'm terrible with knives.

I'm going to get kicked out before I even get started.

"After this, it's the hand-to-hand combat, where I would be selecting the best of you, and then we will progress from there to the final stage," Miles announced before taking us over to the knife-throwing area. 

We all lined up, one by one, throwing knives at the board.

We were starting from the basics, and worse, I couldn't even get the knife to stick to the fucking board, luck wasn't on my side this time.

As if that wasn't enough Sonia walked into the room and Joined Miles.

She starts laughing, at no one, but me.

"Just quit already.." She said out loud, I kept throwing and missing the board, "She's so tiny, she wouldn't last a day out in the field."

I took a deep breath and tried to block her out, just then I remembered the mantra Carlos taught me when he coached me on how to use a gun, I did learn from the best.

"One for the heart, one for the head, and one for wherever you wanted to hit," I whispered to myself and then stood upright,

I took a grip of the knives and threw the first one,

I missed.

Sonia laughs and walks behind me.

I threw the second one, missed again.

She kept laughing,

I kept missing.

"I've never seen anyone suck this badly at anything. Toh bad, Carlos isn't here to witness this disaster, he would be disappointed."

She was purposely distracting me.

I took a deep breath and tried again, this time it landed right on the center of the heart shape drawn on the wood.

That shut her right up.

But Miles wasn't impressed, it takes a lot more to impress him. I had to impress him, one way or the other.

Next, I flung the knife into the head and then the last one towards his throat, he caught it abruptly.

(Murmurs)

"Woah!"

"I heard she's the boss's girlfriend."

Tension grew as Miles scowled at me,

"Why did you choose the throat?" Someone questioned my tactic.

"That way he bleeds out faster," I explained.

"Show off." I heard someone scoff out and threw them a glare.

Miles ignores it,

"Proceed to combat." he announced. "We'll put you up against each other and then up against one of our best-trained people to see how you manage against them."

He starts pairing us up,

I stepped back and watched the boys fight.

They were definitely better at fighting than knife throwing, I was going to have to step up my game.