Chapter 45

Eva

"They caught Nate." Aurora said.

"Where?" I asked

"At a local hotel, he was planning to leave town. I'm sorry..." She answered and I took a deep breath, "Are you ready?" She asked me and I nodded pulling myself together,

After days of pleading they finally agreed to let me talk to Nate. I just wanted to know if it's true what they say about him.

I stood up and followed Aurora down in the basement, the same place they had locked me the first day I was brought you here, time has flown by since then, I don't even know what day it is now. All I know is that, Carlos still hasn't talked to me, I wish he could see how sorry I am.

Aurora opened the door and gestured me in,

"I will be outside." She said.

I nodded and walked in,

The first thing I saw when I walked in was Nate curled at a corner, with his head between his legs.

I cleared my throat and he slowly raised his head, his eyes shooting wide when he saw me.

"Eva!"

He staggered his way up and leapt to my side, I didn't get the chance to object when he grabbed and pulled me into a hug, the awful smell of hard substance hitting my nostrils, his was hair wet as if he had just stepped out of the shower, his body trembling, his eyes dull and teary.

"Ah.." I winced at the smell and broke away from him,

"You don't know how happy I am to see you, Eva. I thought they killed you..." he sniffs.

"And, you didn't bother to check if I was really dead, you planned to leave town and abandon me here, with these people. After everything we been through-"

"I'm sorry. I was scared, but I admit, it was selfish." he sniffed, tilting his head side to side.

"Did you set me up, Nate?" I spurted suddenly.

"What?" he gasps, tilting his head.

"With the other Knights, D-did you set me up?" I asked again, my lips trembling. I didn't want to believe my little brother would do that to me.

"I'm sorry.." he said, and everything strong will in me shattered, he continued, "It happened so fast, I was in my cell at the center when I heard two officers whispering about someone, they were looking for a female to win his heart and kill him for a large sum of money, so I walked up to them and told my sister could do it for the reward? I told them you've killed before, at the time they laughed and beat me up. I didn't know they went after you, after that I realized I was being foolish. I was just desperate to get out of that awful place-" he said, sniffing afterwards.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing,

"How did you get out of the center?" I sputtered.

"I don't know, I just passed out one night and woke up in Italy-" he said, sniffing abruptly.

I shook my head at him in tears,

"After everything.. to think you would set me up like that-" I choked.

"I'm sorry.." he tried to touch me but I backed away. "I'm really sorry, Eva. If I could take it all back I would..." he wiped his nose, tilting his head to the other side.

He was an overwhelming mess.

"What happened back there?"I asked.

He lowered his head muttering, "Those men were awful, they made me do all sort of things, really awful things, Eva..."