54

Carlos

I felt a pounding ache in my ribs, so I winced and settled down. "Boss, Are you okay?" Miles worried instantly.

I nodded and reached for the painkillers on my left side drawer,

I took them with a glass of water and laid back my head, "Look, you just rest, the men and I have this all under control." His tone read panic, "I'll get you on the plan-"

I took a hold of the pain and opened my eyes to the ceiling.

"Look, Don." He stepped closer, "The men and I are more concerned about your health...."

"That's enough. I'm fine." I sat properly, "You were saying something about a plan."

"Y-Yeah..."

"I want to hear it?"

He cleared his throat and started, "We know Gabriel deals outside the casino. I heard it's an underground basement not so far away, it's also one of his distribution bases. I can get some of the men to find it, if we attack all their bases, we leave them vulnerable and with no other alternative than to surrender." He smirked wickedly at his plan.

"It's a good plan and I'm sure Tom will be able to locate it by assessing the firewall." he nodded, "Remember, we need to be discrete this time, the fewer people know that we are initiating the first attack the better."

"Yes, Don." He said whilst bowing his head.

"We must plan these attacks carefully, there can't be any more mishaps."

"Yes, Don." He twirled to leave but turned back again, "And, the kid, what do you do with him?" He's referring to Nate. We took a look at the basement cameras, it turns out it couldn't have been him, "It would be risky to keep him here, imagine if we had killed him, I advise we set him free, send them back to their country."

I let out a laugh amidst the ache I was feeling inside,

"I've never seen you exercise so much generosity over foreigners, have you falling ill or something?" Amusement laced my voice.

He crept a smile,

"You can say I'm finally working on that redemption path mother is always nagging me about."

I let out a short laugh, walking up to him,

"That i'll like to see."

He chuckled shortly, before his tone became serious again, "Boss, you know you can always count on me for anything, and I mean anything at all."

"Let's hope it doesn't get to that." I placed my hand on his shoulder, before walking away.

I left the office and went upstairs to find Eva. She's been in bed all day. When I reached her room she wasn't on the bed as I had assumed, I heard movement in the bathroom and realized she was in the shower,

So I sat at the end of her bed and just thought about how I was going to get her to talk to me again.

I'm aware I messed up the last time, I shouldn't have treated her the way I did. But can you blame me, I thought she deceived me again and it scared me---

I didn't realize she was done showering until I noticed her walking towards the closet in a white robe,

"Do you need anything?" She asked, her voice breaking. She looked upset and it bothered me that she was mad at me. 

"Eva, I know you're upset, but you have to eat, the maids complained you haven't had anything for two days.

"I'm not hungry." She shot back.

"You have to eat, Eva?"

"And if I don't, Are you going to show your true colors again?" She scowled,

"Mi Hermosa." I whispered softly and walked to her, "How long are going to stay mad at me?"I pulled her to me, she was reluctant but gave in,

"What do you want, Carlos?" She sighed. I gnashed, feeling the pain surge heatedly through my lungs, "You expect me to be happy after you tried to kill me and my brother, And over some stupid misconception... But, I guess now you can say we are even."

"I made a mistake...." I clenched hard at the pain,

"I don't care." She spat, oblivious of my suffering. She tried to break out of my hold, "I'm done trying to prove myself to you, there is no point in showing you how sorry I am when you are never going to forgive me, so I'm just going to live with it." Her voice breaking in sobs,

I cupped her face,

"I hate seeing you upset, so ask me anything you want, jewelry, new clothes--"

"Free Nate." She blurted sharply and honestly, I expected nothing less, "I want you to release my brother from the basement, that's all I want....I don't want anything else from you."

"Done."

Her eyes shot wide in surprise,

"Really?"

"Which is another reason I'm here, I guess it's time."

"Time for what?" She panicked.

"I arranged a plane, I'm taking you and your brother, home, back to America."

"I-I-" She trailed off probably not knowing what to say. She just stared at me with wide eyes, "Why?" She finally gasped.

"Don't you want to go home?" I asked, confused. I expected more enthusiasm about the news.

"I do..."

"Then it's settled, I'm taking you home Monday morning." She couldn't find a reply and she didn't look happy about returning home either. More like worried or stressed.