72

I took a moment for myself before assembling with the guys to take the test.

"This is a pain stimulation test. It stimulates pain such as punches, stabs, kicks, stabs..all in one. There's still time to turn around—" Some of the recruiters began to turn around at Miles's words, leaving just a few of us standing.

"Up first, Eva." He announced and stared at me, I bet he didn't think I would make it this far.

"Wait.." Luis grabs me suddenly, stopping me from entering the room, "You don't have to do this, Eva."

"Fuck Luis, let her take the damn test—"

"Shut up, Miles!" Luis snarled at him, and returned to me, "Again, you don't have to do this, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone."

"I know...." I remove his hand and approached the doctor waiting in the room.

He told me to lie on the bed.

I held my breath and laid down on the bed. The doctor began sticking pads on me. "First thing to remember is that this fake, you're not actually being stabbed, it's all in your head, keep that in mind and you would be fine."

I nodded in response.

He started the simulations.

At first, I couldn't feel anything.

I started to feel pain around 5 minutes in. Luis watched anxiously as I just laid there but then suddenly the pain went from 0 to 40.

I cried in pain and I noticed Miles eye the doctor.

What the hell?!

"Eva, press the buzzer!" Someone yelled.

I had the buzzer in my hand to tell them to stop, but I couldn't reach it.

I groaned in pain, clenching onto the side of the bed.

Everyone was watching in panic.

"Ok, that's enough, Miles!" Luis yelled, seeing me in pain.

"She has to stop it, not us" The doctor warned. He quickly stared back at me. "Press the fucking button, Eva!" Luis pleaded.

I couldn't reach the button, maybe because I didn't want to, it was extremely painful yet I didn't seem to care about it.

I can't admit I'm in pain because that would mean admitting I was weak

So I would rather sit through the physical pain than admit I don't belong here. I'd rather spend every waking hour in physical pain than be haunted by the thought that Miles won and I'm really not just good enough

I let out a loud groan, scaring Luis. "Stop the fucking machine!" Luis roared which was the last thing I remember.

I wake with a start sometime later, It's dark and my head is aching, throbbing at my temples. Cautiously, I open my eyes and  looked around, it took me a moment to remember what had happened,

I almost died today!

Just then my heart almost stopped when I noticed Carlos standing very close in the dark.

"You're back?" I tried to sit up but he held out a hand, warning me against it, "How are you back so early?" He's not supposed to be back till Friday, am I imagining him here?

"I took on an early flight." He gazes at me, as if considering his next words, "You almost died today."

"I know." I slowly pull myself in a sitting position,