Chapter 28

Eva

Carlos and I strode down the stairs, he seemed to be quite in a hurry, "Where are you two going?" A voice spoke out as we made it to the door.

I turned to see Carlos's grandmother approaching us, "To pick up Antonio-" Carlos answered and her mouth turned into a grin, "Oh, finally.."

We turned to leave, but she speaks up again, "Eva, where do you think you are going?"

"With him?" I answered and she shook her head in disapproval.

"No, It's too dangerous, come help me in the kitchen instead, I'm preparing Carlos favorite."

"I want to follow Carlos-" I insisted.

"No, it's too dangerous dear, come on-" She said and I looked up at Carlos for defense, but to my surprise, he looked relieved.

He leans to me and then cupping my face, he pressed his lips against my forehead, "I'll be back soon?" he whispered and I didn't have a choice than to nod slightly.

Then with one last kiss to my forehead, he rushed out of the door,

"Come on." She said and I trailed behind her to the kitchen, it was an enormous kitchen, with a long mahogany dining table in the middle. There were about six girls in the room, working quietly to each side,

I walked in stood quietly, watching her hover to the pot on fire the and began stirring it, "So where are you from Eva?" Carlos's Grandmother asked.

"Brooklyn," I answered.

She hummed, "And your parents, are they still alive?"

"I don't know." I replied quietly, she stopped what she was doing and turned her eyes to me, "I've no memory of them," I said and watched her eyes turn sad.

"I'm sorry." She said, turning back to what she was doing, "You must have siblings then?"

I moved a bit closer before answering, "I have a brother, Nate."

"That's good, you two can support each other in time of need." She said and I prayed silently for her not to ask, where he is, I didn't want to have to lie to her.

"You and Carlos have a lot in common." She said instead, as she finally hovers away from the pot,

"How do you mean?"

She walked over to the table and pulled out a chair, settling herself on it, before gesturing me to do the same.

"He lost his mother when he was just a little boy, about ten years old." She started.

"What happened to her?" I didn't have the chance to ask Carlos when he told me about her, he seemed to be very touched by the subject,

"She was murdered." She uttered and I covered my mouth with my hand in shock, "Her name was Alice, she was a very lovely woman, everyone felt her death especially Carlos-"

"Did the police catch who did it?" I uttered and she laughed,

"You mean Carlos, of course. He caught the wicked man who did it, tortured him in a cell for a year for answers and slid his throat right after."

She continued laughing,

Oblivious of my shock.

Never in a million years would I've pictured Carlos as a killer. Do I even know him who he is anymore?

"After Alice's death, our home was never the same again."

"I'm sorry-" I whispered and with that web, both went silent for a while as if pondering on it.