Chapter 19

Eva

I couldn't sleep all night I kept tossing and turning and for the first time it wasn't the nightmares or the voices.

It was the situation at the gym with Carlos. I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking about it. That was the most awkward and embarrassing situation ever. He makes me so relaxed and uncomfortable at the same time.

What does that even mean? I hate feeling this way, I mean I have never felt this way before with anyone, I spent so much time locked away and on the streets to know anything.

Tired of trying to figure it out I closed my eyes and after a while of tossing and turning around the bed,

I finally fell asleep.

The next morning I took a quick shower and started to get dressed.  I left the room and as soon as I opened the door I was greeted by a delicious scent of waffles.

I tucked my hands into my sweats pocket and made it into the kitchen, where Carlos was already set for work and his hair still wet from his morning shower.

I shook my head at the strange thoughts seeping though my mind already.

He turned to me and his mouth parted as his eyes landed on me. The Adam's Apple on his throat bobbed as he swallowed hard.

He remained still staring at me for a moment, before he looked away, clearing his throat,

"Morning." He mumbled.

I bit my lips, "Can I help?"

"I got it." He walked over to the fridge and pulled out the whip cream. "I made waffles....is that okay with you?"

"Of course." I feel guilty having him do all this, while I eat and do nothing, this is his house and I'm almost living free.

He pulled a chair, "Sit." He gestures and I settled in.

He reaches out and places a plate of waffles in front of me, before stalking over to the sink to wash off the remaining dishes.

The air felt thick as I sat in the table and started to eat. The waffle was delicious in between, "I would like to step out for a bit."

"Why? Is there something you need?" He asked with his back still turned to me.

"You can't keep me locked in here forever Carlos, I'm a human being, not some dog," I yelled at him.

Not exactly sure why I am yelling, he hasn't even said anything

He nodded. His eyes turning darker as he looked at me and my stomach churned inside in fear,

"Please." I then pleaded, "I will be back, I promise. There are just some things I need to handle before it's too late."

"Do what you want." He uttered finally and before I could thank him, he was gone. What's up with him?