Chapter 35

Eva

My heart was practically throbbing out of my chest when I arrived at the restaurant. Carlos had some work to attend, so we agreed to meet here.

I sat back for a moment, then taking a deep breath I pulled my anxious self together and got down from the car.

I wore on a faint smile and made my way into the restaurant, "Ah, You must be Miss. Eva Green." A lady approached me and I nodded, "This way Mr. Knight has been waiting for you." she said gesturing me.

I followed her past the tables to see Carlos seated at the end of the room, he was on his cell phone until he saw me walking towards him. I began feeling more anxious, my hands were literally trembling. He hung up the phone and quickly stood up to me,

"Eva." He whispered and took a moment to admire me, "You look beautiful." he said and I smiled, then taking my hand to his lips, he kissed it, before pulling out a chair for me.

"Thank you." I mumbled quietly and settled, "This is a nice restaurant." I said, taking my eyes around, the place was really gorgeous.

"You like it?" He asked and I nodded, "We should order then." he picked up the menu and I did the same.

I read my eyes through it and sighed, everything was in Italian. Which is expected, since it was an Italian restaurant. Carlos must have sensed my dilemma, "Everything okay?" he asked and I nodded.

"I can't read Italian."

"Ah, I almost forgot you're an Englishwoman

"Ah, I almost forgot you're an Englishwoman." he exclaimed and I formed a small smile, "I would order for you then."

He lifted his hand and a waitress was at our side immediately, "Cosa posso offrirti, signore?" She asked ready to write down our order.

Carlos kept his eyes on me as he spoke, "Per l'aperitivo, vorremmo avere il calamaro ripieno provenzale, poi la mia bouillabaisse e per lei il confit di pollo e una bottiglia fresca del Cabernet Sauvignon del 1983. " The foreign words flew smoothly against his lips.

The waitress scribbled everything, before leaving.

"You seem tensed." Carlos muttered, leaning against his chair, peering at me, "What's the problem?" He asked.

"No, I'm fine." I stutter.

There was something odd about him tonight or perhaps it just me being paranoid,

"Tell me about you?" he uttered and I let out a dry laugh,

"I told you I grew up in a lot of foster homes, What else is there to tell?"