58

"You've never had a McDonald's?" I exclaimed in disbelief as Carlos and I rode to the central city, we were just five people on the bus.

"No one ever proposed it." He said.

I let out a scoff and shook my head at him, "No one proposes good food, you just eat it.. What of cheeseburgers, PB&J, Mac and cheese? You must have had all of those in your childhood."

She shook his head and I gaped,

"You must have had one heck of a childhood." I didn't have the best childhood myself but still, I picked a fry and threw it in my mouth, saying. "You haven't lived and compared to you, I have lived a ton."

"I highly doubt, seeing the only country you've visited is, Italy. That can't be living, true living is experiencing other sides of the world."

I laughed,

"Traveling the world is nothing compared to the taste of a delicious cheeseburger in your mouth, and here I thought I was the underprivileged one, you still have a lot to learn about living."

Carlos laughed, exploring the sides of the bus, fascinated with it.

He's been smiling a lot since we started this self-discovering journey, like a child who just had candy for the first time

This must be exciting for him, having to be carefree and normal for just a day.

Either way I enjoyed watching him, it was a freshen sight.

I also learned a lot about him in this few hours, I learned he loved pancakes, which I found odd for a man of his statue.

He also likes pepperoni pizza and everything Italian, he only prefers Italian foods, as expected.

He said he doesn't have a favorite color, but I presume it's Blue, he wears the color blue more often than usual and it suits him well.

He loves reading, and mastered 17 languages before the age of 20.

He said it was mandatory.

But I thought it impressive.

He won his first war at the age of 18, and became the worlds youngest commissioner at the age of 21, there were several mind blowing facts about Carlos Knight.

But all of it just made me understand that he wasn't any less than a human, he sleeps, eats and laughs like the rest of us, being the leader of the biggest Italian ring didn't make him immortal, or any less human, he had fears and anxieties just like everybody else.

"Did you always want to be a leader?" I asked.

Carlos's serious face returned, and for a minute I thought he'd flip at me, but instead he answered.

"No.." He paused for a moment as if thinking about it,

"What did you want to be when you grew up?"

"I didn't have a choice.." He came and sat beside me again.

"What stopped you?"

He gave me an obvious look and I immediately understood.

"Why didn't you refuse?" I asked instead.

"It was an honor passed down by my grandfather to me, I couldn't refuse... My grandfather thought I would make a great leader and I had to be..."

"Do you like being a leader?"

"Most of the time." He captured my gaze and smiled. I smiled back and reached to adjust his disguise, I couldn't let him out without one, he's still Carlos Knight after all.

"Well, you're not today." I reminded him, "This is my world, try and make the best of it now that you can." I grinned at him.

He chuckled, gazing at me with astonishment.

We got out of the bus and walked hand in hand around the city, before wandering into a fast food restaurant, I promised him a taste of good American food.

We stepped in and took our seats beside the window, "First try their chicken nuggets, you would love it."

He agreed and we ordered the best of everything..

"What's this?" He asked pointing at the waffle fries.

"That's called waffle fries." I picked one up and held it out for him to take a bite, he tried to take off my hands but I refused.

I enjoyed taking care of him for once,

I let out a laugh as he brought his face closer to the waffles and began to take a bite out of it, before leaning back to take in the taste.

"Do you like it?"

He gave me a thumbs and I grinned. He clearly didn't,

I was starving so I began to eat myself. I had a lot to eat, Carlos just took a bit of everything I feed him, so a lot of food was going to waste.

I forced myself to eat as much as possible.

Carlos watched me intently, as he took out his phone and snapped a quick picture of me before I could even object. 

I quickly chewed the food in my mouth, and swallowed it roughly--almost choking before scolding him. 

"Delete that! I must look awful, I look terrible in pictures." I said sounding mortified. 

"You look fine." He tucked it away and I blushed, and tried to eat properly.

Carlos and I spent the next couple of hours occasionally talking, occasionally looking out the window and occasionally appreciating the city, that at the end of the day I was exhausted.

I felt my eyes getting heavy and droopy suddenly, especially after I had soda. I felt tired and could feel sleep taking over my body. 

I tried to stay awake, I was enjoying Carlos's company too much. I didn't want to give in, we still had places to explore, like the beach, the night fireworks at the boardwalk.

"Come.." Carlos held me and led us into a waiting taxi, "Riposa." he whispered to my ear and kissed my side tenderly. My eyes felt heavy so I rested my head on his shoulder.

"I-I had fun, did you have?" I managed to whisper to him.

He hummed in response.

I chuckled. "I knew you did." I grinned and adjusted myself properly on his shoulder, "I'm so sleepy, why am I so tired?" I yawned tiredly.

"piaciuto ogni parte del tuo condo, cucciola."

[I enjoyed every bit of your world, cucciola]

I could gasp of anything else, my brain went blurry, and my body felt heavy as I drifted off into a deep sleep.