Chapter 16

Eva

After warming up and a few push ups, we moved over to a punching bag, I looked at him, my head tilting to the side,

What exactly am I to do with this? How's this going to teach me to defend myself with a gun, "form your hands into a fist." he said, his arms crossing over his chest

This is starting to seem like a punishment, I held my hands up and formed it into a tight fists,

"Keep your thumb outside the fists, you don't want to break them, " he ordered and I folded my thumb outside the fists and waited for his next command.

"Now you step right, step left and jab." he ordered punching the bag, "Your turn."

I formed my hand into another fist and punched the bag weakly. He sighed deeply, before making it over to me, "I'm going to touch you now, is that okay?" he whispered and I bite my lips for a while before nodding.

He reaches out to me slowly and began positioning my body with his hands, his fingers felt oddly cold against mine.

Focus Eva, I shrugged the crazy thoughts away, He moved my slightly apart legs, one to the front and the other a bit further,

"This would help you with the balance." he says and reaching he turn my shoulders, "this would make it easier for you to punch," he said, but the proximity between us was making me uncomfortable.

Then, he fisted my hands again, "Remember thumbs out not in." he reminded me and then bent my arms into a defensive stance with my fists near my face.

"Always protect your face from hits." he said moving my hands up a little, before tucking my chin down slightly, "this would protect your throat" he explains, "Very important, always remember to breathe, this way when someone lands a punch on you, it doesn't knock the winds out of your lungs."

I nodded, "Now remember, you step right, step left and Jab." he showed me copying my strance, "Now you."

I raised my hands and formed it into fists, making sure to keep my thumbs out the fist, I remembered to breathe as well and at the same pace he punched, I did the same thing.

"Again." He ordered.

Step right, step left, jab

"Again."

Step right, step left jab,

Carlos's words repeated itself in my head as I thrust my hand forward to make contact with the punching bag,

I don't understand how punching a bag has anything to do with me learning how to use a gun, I repeat the move again, "I want to learn to defend myself with a gun, not fight..."

"If you don't learn how to fight, you'd be dead before you pick up a gun..." he shots back, "Now punch Harder, you're punching like a girl.."

"I'm a girl.." I shot back.

"Punch harder, you need to put all your emotions into it, everything you feel, those nightmares, those voices in your head, you need to own them, they don't own you, you own them, you're in control not them-" Carlos voice growls persistently into my ear and began punching harder,

He swirves me from the punching to him, step right, step left, jab. The mantra repeats in my head as I punched harder.

 The mantra repeats in my head as I punched harder

"Harder.." he growled.

I vision everything, Nate, I visioned what he must be going through in the hands of those criminals and my punches become more forceful. He's in there because of me, because I failed him, I always fail him, I always fail.

"Harder.." he growled.

The punches began to sting, but I pushed the pain away and added more force to my hits, Carlos wasn't fighting back,

He just stood there and allowed me throw punches at him, my breathing was gradually getting heavier, making it harder to breathe, Suddenly he tilts to the side and I find myself on the ground.

"I think that's enough for today." He says, stretching out his hand and helping me up, I dusted myself off as soon as I was on my feet

"Here drink this?" He said, offering me a bottle of water.

This is stupid, "When will you teach me how to use a gun?" I shot back at him instead.

"When you learn to fight properly, you have a lot to learn and this is just the beginning." he shot back, turning and making his way out of the boxing ring.

"You promised you'd teach me how to use a gun." I scolded trailing behind him, we made it towards the kitchen and he says nothing ignoring me.

"fine, if you wouldn't teach me, I would learn myself, it shouldn't be so hard to shoot a gun."

"stop blabbing nonsense." He scolded, with that I ran out of the kitchen and made it into the room, locking the door behind,

I sprawled myself on the bed angrily, who does he think he is? First he traps me here against my will and now he insults me. I have had enough of him, I think it's time I escape my way out of here.

I heard footsteps and then the door knob being twisted, but it didn't open,

There was a silence for a minute and I thought he left, but I was wrong, "Come on Princess, don't be mad. I didn't mean to scold you." He whispered.

"Just leave me alone." I yelled back.

After a few seconds silence, he spoke up again

"Okay...Anything you want."

I rushed quickly and opened the door, "Does this mean you would teach me?" I uttered and his lips turn into a smirk.

"It was the only way I could get you to open the door." What? Th- I looked at him angrily and his smirk grew wider.

"Leave me alone." I moved towards the bed and sat in the corner.

"Not until you eat, you haven't had anything all day." He said softly and I scoffed looking away, He thinks food solves everything.

"I'm not  hungry." I spouted looking away.

He stared at me for a moment before speaking up again, "Let's make a deal." He utters and I turned to him curiously, "If you learn how to fight and defend yourself properly, I would teach you how to use a gun, any gun of your chosen."

I thought of it for a moment before a grin appeared on my face

"Deal."

He chuckles softly, before reaching out for my hand, "C'mon let's get you downstairs.....we are expecting company."

___

I