Chapter 33

Carlos

Note that the men are having this conversation in Italian, but for a better understanding it would be written in English.

_

"Can somebody fucking explain to me how Gabriel and his men got to know of the plan to attack." I boomed at my men across the conference table and the room went silent.

"Anyone?" I yelled louder and a few of them flinched, bowing their heads low in shame, "Miles, care to explain?" I demanded and he cleared his throat, holding my gaze.

"I don't have proof, Boss.." he gradually moved forward, "But, I believe someone has been tipping  our plans...someone on the inside."

I cleanched tightly,

"Leave us." I sighed and the men got up to leave, except Luiz. Once we were alone, I turned my eyes to Miles, "You sound convinced." I uttered and he nodded slightly, "Who is it? Frank, Jose-"

"Antonio." he cut in,

"Antonio?" I repeated, a little amused

he nodded, "I don't trust him."

I laughed shortly and leaned forward, "You're saying Antonio, the boy I raised, is betraying me?"

"Like I said I don't have any proof, but I have a feeling he's not telling us the whole truth about what really happened out there."

"Antonio is family, he's blood, he's a knight and he knows better than to bretray me..." I clenched my jaw tightly, "So, unless you have proof to these claims, I advise you never bring this to me again." I growled and he nodded in respect,

"I would go make some calls then." he said and I waved them off, holding up my head and wincing slightly in pain, I've been having this strong and reoccurring headaches lately.

Miles and Luiz to move forward in concern, "Carlos, are you still having those migraines you complained about?" Miles asked,

I nodded, with a hiss.

"How long?"

"Three weeks." I squirmed and he cursed under his breath.

"This is not good Carlos...If anyone finds out you're sick, there would be a strike for power and we're not ready for a war, not with half of our men down." he paused, "We need to get you to a safe location and checked-"

"I'm fine, I just need some rest-" I hissed, resting my head back.

"You're not fine."

"Miles is right." Luiz chimed in, "Your health should be the only priority and nothing else." he said and I sighed in defeat, giving them the permission to make the calls,

"I would go make the calls, but in the meantime get some rest." Miles said and left the room.

As Miles left, Luiz cleared his throat uncomfortably and approached my desk,

"Any silly claims you would like to make?" I asked and he scratched the back of his neck apprehensively.

"Quite on the contrary, Boss."

He stepped forward, with a file in his hands, "I know this is the worst time to bring this to your notice, but you have to see this."

"What?"

I reached out and poured myself a glass of water to ease the pain,

"It's concerning Eva?"

I looked up at him, "What about her?"

"I did some digging-"

"I asked you to drop the investigation." I growled.

"I understand, but I still think you should take a look at her files." he placed it in front of me and flipped to the first page, revealing some old documents.

"What's this?"

He leaned forward,

"Those are Eva's criminal records." He answered, "And according to this documents she was placed on juvenile detention for a year, to be convicted for murder when she turns 18, but suddenly all charges were dropped."

I held my shit together and furrowed my eyebrows at him, "What are you trying to make out of this, Luiz? And for your own good, It better be cogent."

"John McCain was in charge of the case."

"How's that relevant?"

"The McCain we know is very devious and he wouldn't have picked up a case as minor as Eva's without prior influence from the outside...so, I made some calls and you wouldn't believe what I discovered."

He flipped to the next page, revealing a picture of Eva and a man in black overalls, "That's mark." He pointed, "At first I didn't know where to place him, until I remembered seeing him at the shot out last week, he's one of Gabriel's trusted men."

I folded my fists tightly, not liking where this was going.

He flipped to the last page,

"That's him again." he said, "And, the boy behind him is Nathan Green." He cuts himself short, before whispering the next words..

"That's... Eva's brother."