50

Eva

The past couple of days my mind was filled with worry and dismay over the coming war, whenever Carlos left to work, I would be floating in endless worry, images of him getting hurt flashing in my head.

Tom swung at me and I ducked narrowly.

He hits again and I fell,

"Uh.." I sighed and laid there for a while.

Then I got up and tried again,

He swung at me and I ducked.

I jumped when he tried to trip and moved to the side when he tried to kick me, I did it again and again...

"Good, but you are distracted?"

I shook my head and went to the punching bag,

I hit it hard, repeatedly.

Tom just stood there watching me hit it with all my force, I stopped at some point and wiped the sweat off my face, "Okay, Let's take a break?" Tom said, "You sure you okay?" He asked.

I nodded and went to pour some water on myself, "You are not." He came forward, "You've lost focus, is there something wrong? Another couple fight?"

I decided to come out with it, or he would just keep bothering me.

"I'm worried." I tell him, "I have this feeling like something bad is about to happen...and everytime I close my eyes, I see Carlos getting shot."

He laughed at my insinuation,

"This is a Mafia war. It's kill or get killed."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" That was the last thing I needed to hear, I was already worried enough.

"Look, Carlos is the leader of one of the biggest Mafia ring's in the country and going to wars comes with the job. You would get used to it, this isn't his first war and if all goes well, it won't be his last."

I gathered my things, "if you were trying to scare me you succeeded." I shot at him as I start to leave, I could hear him laughing behind as I waddled away,

"Asshole."

"You're welcome?" He yelled after me.

I just left in anger,

I went first down the basement to check on Nate, before returning to Carlos's room. I had a quick shower and walked out of the room to see him.

He was looking out the window with a cup coffee in hand, speaking into the phone with the other, "How much--"

I stood there watching him and for a second I had a flash-forward to life, to where the war was over, he forgave me and we were happy again,

All though things might seem promising between us, I'm aware where I stand with him, he still looks at me with suspicion and uncertainty.

"Thank you." He hung up and turned his eyes to me, "Why are you just standing there?"

I made my way to him,

"I'm watching you." I muttered as I walked to me.

He snickered, looking out the window again, where the men were training like it was their last day. I turned my eyes to him again, watching as he lifted the cup to his lips and slowly drank it,

"You are scared?" I waved in,

"I have had worse days." he replied and then turned to look at me, "This isn't any different, like my grandfather used to say, war is peace."

"But this is different, Gabriel and Elle have been out for you for years, this isn't just war to them, this is years of adulterated wrath, vengeance, fury, they would do and are capable of anything..."

"What's your point?" he cut in,

"I'm saying you should back down, give them what they want, the real lasting victories are those of peace and not of war."

He clenched,

"If I didn't know any better I would say you are not on my side, but yet again, you were never on mine from the beginning." I gulped apprehensively at the tone of his words.

"You are never going to forgive me, are you?"

"Not when you keep defending my enemy." He walked away from me, "You are lucky I'm keeping you alive, but don't test my patience."

"Carlos, I'm sorry, I don't know how else you want me to prove it.... I would do anything." Just then a knock came on the door and the maids hopped in with trolley upon trolley of foods, they dropped it and left as quickly as they came,

"What's this?"

"Eat, I'm going to shower." He said and left me alone.