Chapter 2- Simply

Jake's POV
It seemed as if I couldn't run fast enough. It was all a blur to me as I ran up the steps and into the house. I hadn't even checked to see if Amy was behind me, part of me really didn't care. I just needed to see if the twins and my parents were okay.

Even though my parent's house was fairly large, I had a gut feeling they would be in their bedroom. They always had loved their room after they redid it. It had aspects they both loved in there. My father was an outdoorsy man and my mother who was raised up north was a huge hockey fan, so they transformed their room into a hunting and hockey sanctuary. They were so proud of that room, sometimes so proud I would be jealous of it as I always had their attention, being an only child.

I ran in the hallway leading to their bedroom and jumping over a dead and bloodied beat-up walker laying in the middle of the hall. I hoped that was the reason for the gunshot. Boy, was I wrong.

However, I was totally right about them being in their room. I ran in to see the fresh, warm, and bloody corpses of my parents and baby girl, with Tommy lying on the ground crying.

I was in total shock, frozen, just standing there, unable to move. I was finally conscious again when Amy brought me back by placing a hand on my left shoulder. I slowly walked over to Tommy to pick him up, still crying.

I inspected where my parents dead bodies lay, noticing my father and Gabby were bit. I caught a glimpse of a letter that was semi-crumpled under my mother's hand.

Amy picked it up, tears streaming down her face and read it out loud:

"Dearest Joseph and Amy,
As you can see, your father and Gabby were bit, a walker got inside. Your father could see no other option than to shoot himself bit the thought of living without him was unbearable. I'm truly sorry to do this to you. Since we had no idea how a bite could effect a baby, we didn't want to chance it and we wanted to save you the hurt of doing this to your own child. We love you so much, please remember to take care of Tommy, Amy, and most importantly, yourself. May God let us see each other in the future.
All our love, Mom and Dad"