Chapter 27- Know

Amy's POV
We rode up to a farm house with a mailbox in front that read "Greene". We got about halfway on the dirt path and Lori hopped off the horse and ran inside. I got off of the horse I rode.

"I can take it." The girl said.

"No, I'll help." I told her as I guided the horse to the stables, following the girl. "You guys have it really good here, kinda makes me wish Jake and I had a farm."

"Yeah, we barely get any of the sick ones here." She said and I nodded.

We got the horses into their stable and started walking back to the house.

"My name's Maggie, by the way." She told me.

"Amy, and this is Tommy." I said.

"Hi, Tommy." She said in her sweet, southern voice and gave him a small wave.

He smiled up to her and hid behind me, still looking at her.

We walked in the house and into the little room where Carl was passed out. Jake was giving blood to him while Lori and Rick talked. Tommy was still hiding behind me.

"Hey." I said to him and kissed him on the cheek.

"Hey." He smiled.

"What happened?" I asked Jake.

"There was a buck. Carl started walking up to it and he got shot. Otis was on the other side of the deer and never saw Carl." He choked. "I couldn't stop thinking about Tommy."

"It's okay." I laced an arm around his neck. "Everybody will just be a bit more cautious with the children, monitor them and keep them close."

"Ok, son, that's enough blood for now." An older man with white hair told Jake.

"Okay, Hershel." He replied.

A blonde lady took the needle out of his arm and Jake stood up, stumbling.

"I'm fine." He said as everyone started to rush over to him. "Just haven't ate that much today."

"Beth, get Jake some orange juice, and some for Rick. We should've gave him some early." Hershel told the younger blonde who I didn't really notice till now.

I followed Jake, Rick, and Beth to the kitchen. This house was beautiful, I thought, so segregated from the evil occurring on the outside.

They drank down all their juice and we went back to Carl's room. It now had four chairs around Carl's bed for us to sit with him.

I didn't notice myself slipping away and I fell asleep with Tommy sitting on my lap some point in the night.

"They're here." Jake woke me up, making me jump.

Everyone inside the house, except for Lori and Carl, came outside.

I ran out to greet them. Andrea walked out of the RV and then up to me. "Andrea, I know you're mad at me right now but,-" I was cut off by her hugging me.

"I know. Carl getting shot made me realize that you could be gone any second." She told me.

We broke the hug just as Hershel walked out of his house.

"You guys can set up over there." He pointed to an area. "Rick, may I have a word?"

Rick followed Hershel inside and the rest of us took out the tents Jake packed back at the abandoned hospital.

When we finished setting up, everyone went their own way. Jake and I went back inside and Glenn sat on the porch with a guitar, he must've gotten it from the cars.

"You need to make a decision." Hershel told Rick and Lori. "What do you want to do?"

Rick looked to Lori. "Go ahead." Lori told Hershel.

Jake's POV
I felt so bad for Rick and Lori. They had to make a decision which either way, could kill their son.

Amy tapped my arm and I looked to her. She pointed to the door. There were headlights. The headlights of Otis' blue ford.

"Guys! They're back!" I yelled and ran outside to the now stopped truck. Only Hershel and Rick followed.

Shane got out. Just Shane. No Otis. Shane was by himself.

"Where's Otis?" Hershel asked.

"He's uhh.." Shane rambled, not making any eye contact with any of us. Hmm, that was kinda suspicious, I thought, probably nothing though.

"No one tell Patricia yet. We need her for this surgery." Hershel told us.