Chapter 21- Be

Jake's POV
Rick, Shane, Glenn, T-dog , and I ran down stairs to the basement.

"Decontamination, what does that mean?" Glenn asked.

"I don't like the way Jenner clammed up like that, way he just wandered off like that." Shane inputed.

"What's wrong with him? Seriously man, is he nuts, medicated, or what?" T-dog asked.

We all stopped at a map of the basement. Rick found the generator room and said "It's through there."

We all walked inside. "Check that way," Rick told T-dog and Glenn. "Shane, Jake." He gestured us to come with him.

We looked around and found one of the generators plugged into a fuel tank. Rick pushed the tank. "It's empty." He told us as the lights shut off.

Emergency lights on.

"What the hell is this?" I asked.

Glenn and T-dog ran in. "Hey! You guys kill the lights?" Glenn asked us.

"Nah, they just went down." Shane told him.

"Anything?" I asked them.

"Yeah, a lot of dead generators and more empty fuel drums than I can count." T-dog replied.

"It can't be down to just one." Shane stated.

Amy's POV
I didn't care, I just started packing our bags, we had to leave. I finished packing and went into the rec-room with Tommy, it was only Lori and Carl.

"Hey guys." I told them.

"Hi!" Carl told me.

For some reason it felt... hotter in the room. Lori must've noticed because she climbed on top of the couch and felt the vent.

"Mom?" Carl called. "Something wrong?"

"Uh, nothing. It's just the air conditioning stopped." She answered.

Dr. Jenner's POV
I sat at my desk and looked at the picture of Candace.

"I did the best I could in the time I had. I hope you'd be proud of that." I told her picture.

I just felt like I let her down. I just hope for her sake, there will be a cure one day.

"We always think there's gonna be more time." I said, looking at the clock. Not that much longer till my death, when I get to finally leave this hell, hopefully I see Candace.

Just then the lights went off. Right on time.

Amy's POV
I went back to my room with Tommy and waited patiently for Jake. I looked out of my door for any sign of them coming back when I noticed Dr. Jenner walking through the hall and everybody poking their heads out.

"Why's the air off? And the lights in our rooms?" Carol asked the Dr. as he ignored.

Daryl poked out, whiskey bottle in hand. "Hey what's goin' on? Why'd everything turn off?" Dr. Jenner grabbed the whiskey out of his hand.

He took a drink of the whiskey. "Generator use is being prioritized."

Dale chipped in. "Air isn't a priority? And lights?"

"It's not up to me." Dr. Jenner took a drink. "Zone Five is shutting itself down."

Daryl chased after him. "Hey! Hey! What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Jenner ignored him. "Hey man, I'm talkin' to you! What do you mean it's shuttin' itself down. How could a buildin' do anythin'?"

We got to a set of stairs as we all chased Dr. Jenner. The guys ran in.

"You'd be surprised." Dr. Jenner answered Daryl.

"Rick?" Lori yelled and everybody ran down to where the guys were. Jake took Tommy out of my hands, thank God, he was getting heavy.

"Jenner whats happening?" Jake asked him.

"System is dropping all non-essential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second. We just reached the halfway mark. Right on schedule." Dr. Jenner pointed to the clock, took a drink, and we arrived at the work stations. "It was the French." He told us.

"What?" Amy asked him.

"They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know. While our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs till the end. They thought they were close to the solution."

"What happened?" Jacqui asked.

"Same thing that happened here, no power grid, ran outta juice. The world runs on fossil fuels, I mean how stupid is that?"

"Let me tell you something." Shane walked up to Dr. Jenner, obviously pissed.

"Shane!" Rick tried to hold him back. "Lori, grab our things everybody, get your stuff, we're getting out of here, NOW!"

Jacqui complied "okay." But were all stunned, we wouldn't move. I have no idea why. Just then an alarm sounded.

"What's that?" Shane and Carl asked, almost in unison.

Thirty minutes to decontamination.

"Doc! What's goin' on here?" Daryl asked as Dr. Jenner scanned his CDC card and punched in some numbers.

"Y'all heard Rick! Get your stuff and let's go, go now!" Shane yelled.

"Let's go, c'mon." T-dog gestured as he ran towards the hallway.

Just then a metal shutter closed down, blocking us from reaching the hallway.