Chapter 10- One

Jake's POV
I must've dozed off because in no time, we arrived at a big building.

It was an abandoned hospital. Sounds eerie, right? Well it wasn't so eerie when you're looking for shelter during the zombie apocalypse.

One thing I noticed about the building was there were a bunch of tires and dark green tents- a military base.

"Hey, why the hell are we going to a military base?" I asked.

"It's run down. There was one survivor from the attack on it. We found him only a few days after, we figured this place could do us some good." Daryl told me.

"We'll be okay." Amy said as she rested her hand on my shoulder since she was in the back of me with Andrea.

"I'm sorry we never got to meet properly," Andrea told me, "I guess I was a pretty bad big sister before all of this."

Amy shifted in her seat before we all exited the truck. Andrea and I continued talking when we exited.

"Well the only thing that matters now is that you're here." I smiled at her.

"So, how did my beautiful sister meet a nice guy like you?" She asked.

I wrapped my arm around Amy, "When I first seen her at school, it was love at first sight. I made it my mission to help her get un-hooked on drugs. She overdosed on painkillers so she was in the hospital for a few days. I was the only one there for her, making us closer. I stayed with her after the hospital to make sure she never touched another painkiller. After that she fell in love with me and everything else went uphill from there." I kissed Amy's forehead and she smiled.

"Stop with the goddamn sappy shit," Daryl said, "We gotta get inside, introduce you to everyone else, get the supplies inside."

We kind of jumped and rushed to the bed of the truck to start hauling supplies in, we even let Tommy help, but we made sure he stayed with either Amy and I. Sophia and Carol were still shaken up about Ed, that bastard, so they were able to go right in and settle.

Amy's POV
Carol and Sophia seemed to be able to mingle with everybody. It seemed like Carol had her eye on Daryl, I was a little skeptic, I didn't want Carol to get hurt again, but it seemed like Daryl had morals.

An older man with white hair came up to me. "Do you have any cuts or scrapes?"

"No."

"It's okay if you do, you won't turn unless you get bit or scratched. I need to know so it doesn't get infected, I can wrap some gauze around it, Glenn goes on a lot of runs to make she we're good on supplies."

"It's good that we have Glenn to do that, he seems like a really good guy , and no, I don't have any cuts. I'll let you know if I get any." I smiled at him, he reminded me a lot of Jake's father... "I think Jake has a cut on his arm, he'll act tough but please make sure he's okay, I don't want to lose him, so lets try to prevent anything worse than it's condition now."

"Okay, I'll have a look at him. By the way, if you ever need me, my name is Dale, I like to keep an eye on everyone here, and that," he pointed to an RV "that's my RV. It's my station. It helps me keep an eye on everyone and to look out for walkers." He said as he walked away and smiled.

I then noticed a woman and a boy. The boy was writing on a piece of paper. Gosh, that would be nice for Tommy, through the apocalypse, I still wanted him to be able to read and write.

"Hey there," I walked up to them, "I'm Amy, Andrea's sister. I'm here with my son and husband. I think it's cool that you're reading and writing," I told the boy, "That can be very important in a situation like this."

"I'm glad you think so," the woman said "everyone else doesn't seem to really care about it." She laughed, rubbing the boy's hair.

Jake's POV
We all got settled in. This place didn't seem so bad, I wasn't sure about the protection, and a few of the other guys.

Daryl seems like an okay guy, Dale seems to know and to want to know about everyone here, and Shane, well, I just had a bad gut feeling about him.

"We got a few walkers over here," Rick yelled "Jake, we want to see how you do with them."

"Okay." I returned a bit weary, I never killed in front of an audience.

Daryl's POV
The new guy wasn't to bad with the walkers. He used a knife since it was only a few walkers. I couldn't wait to hunt with him, I wanted to see some of his gun or bow marksmanship.

Maybe the new people weren't going to be so much of a burden. Sophia was quiet and seemed to like everyone, and Carol, well, she was somethin'. She was pretty, funny, and it seemed to me as if she was the caring type. Ed must've been one helluva lucky guy before he was bit...